talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > General Woodworking Q & A

General Woodworking Q & A Had a tip to share or a general question to ask? This is the place.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 AM

Default Making Table - Maximum Drawer Width

I am building a making table and I am wondering withe I can put in drawers that are about 1000mm wide and 500mm deep by about 100mm high.

Is there some sort of theorltical (or real) limit to the width of a drawer? I have enclosed a sketch up picture.

regards
Attached Thumbnails
making-table-maximum-drawer-width-making-table-5.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Making Table - Maximum Drawer Width

The issues you'll run into are that the frame may bend if you don't have thick enough stock, and the bottom will bow and sag if it's not thick enough, or if you don't put another source of support for it (a beam going front-to-back at the middle of the drawer, or side-to-side, or both).

There are tables on the web (somewhere) that will tell you how long a span you can have of a given wood to keep it to a given sag with a given weight. The problem with big drawers is that you tend to put heavy things in them, so you need extra strong stock. If you make it out of 3/4" baltic plywood (including the bottom), and do the joinery well, it should work fine.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 AM

Poto covered a lot of it I think
Make sure you use good joinery on a drawer that size, and when gluing it together, make sure you eliminate any twist or out of squareness.. You'll thank yourself later when it comes to fitting it.
For the bottom a central brace would be good to help prevent sag. Solid wood bottoms should help reduce sag compared to a ply, but add more weight to the drawer..and you'll have to allow for movement of the bottom via the back of the drawer, otherwise it could lead to forcing your drawers joinery apart
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:46 PM

If you can tolerate recessing the bottom up into the drawer some, an aluminum "T" section front to back, or maybe two, doesn't add much weight. You could use 1/2" ply and a 3/4" T, or even an angle.

Tags
drawers, making table, workbench