talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > General Woodworking Q & A

General Woodworking Q & A Had a tip to share or a general question to ask? This is the place.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 AM

Default How do I build a pyramid?

Hello wise ones. A friend came to pick my brains in the weekend. He is building a bird cage, and wants the roof to be a four sided pyramid shape, using 45/45mm framing to be clad in ply. He was having problems working out the angles at the top.
"No worries," I said, "I know how to do that." So off we went to the Kapex in the shed.
Turns out I don't know how to do it, and even using the calculator in Ricks Kapex manual ended in failure. (Not a problem with the calculator, but me)

So, can someone please tell me the angles to get a nice sharp point at the top, or how I work them out?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
how-do-i-build-pyramid-image009.gif  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: How do I build a pyramid?

The easiest way is to download the AMP app of John Economaki's from Bridge City for your iPad. And then buy the AMP. But you can do it without (albeit less accurately) with any protractor.

I was just looking to try to find it, but couldn't figure out how to download it.

If you let me know the inclination angle of the sides, I could tell you the angles.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:07 PM

it's crown molding isn't it? 45 degree slope, 90 degree corner...

If memory serves... 35 1/4 angle and 30 deg. bevel

DEWALT Service and Support | Featured Articles

unless I'm missing something... also likely.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:27 PM

Don't the angles change depending on the dimensions? Wider basis smaller angle, higher top larger angle etc.

This game may help...

BBC - History - Ancient History in depth: Pyramid Challenge
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Founding Member

I don't think the angles would change if the change of size were proportional. They'd only change if, well, the angles changed...

Ned
Old 11-11-2011, 03:44 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Hello wise ones. A friend came to pick my brains in the weekend. He is building a bird cage, and wants the roof to be a four sided pyramid shape, using 45/45mm framing to be clad in ply. He was having problems working out the angles at the top.
"No worries," I said, "I know how to do that." So off we went to the Kapex in the shed.
Turns out I don't know how to do it, and even using the calculator in Ricks Kapex manual ended in failure. (Not a problem with the calculator, but me)

So, can someone please tell me the angles to get a nice sharp point at the top, or how I work them out?
Thanks.
What is 45/45mm framing? 45mm x 45mm square stock? What is the length of the pyramid side? How high will the peak be? What thickness is the ply clad?

EDIT: Ahhh, 45 degrees on all four sides. But what is 45mm?

Last edited by RONWEN; 11-11-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:03 AM

http://www.precisionpyramids.com/pyramidplans.htm

Here ya go.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by waho6o9 View Post
That is a fascinating site! I had no idea... I'm wondering in what state this business is located. The prices are pretty good.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
That is a fascinating site! I had no idea... I'm wondering in what state this business is located. The prices are pretty good.
Yeah, one would wonder what state this business is in... In any event, they are located here in Washington state.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Hello,

Using the App for the BCTW AMP-V2; I came up with a blade tilt of 30 degrees and a miter gauge angle of 54.736. The bottom of the pyramid would be 45 degrees to sit flat.

The App is called "powerOne FE" it is a $4.95 App that is a calculator and has a ton of free templates that you download into it, the "Anglemaster Pro" is the BCTW one for their tool. I highly recommend it even without the tool; there are templates for figuring out loans, pulleys and belts, balluster spacing, tips, etc.

BCTW also sells a neat booklet for about 3 bucks called "woodworkers guide to compound miters," that has blade and angle settings for 3 to 36 sided objects with leans from 1 to 90 degrees in 1 degree increments.

-Rutager