talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > General Information > Forum Help Desk > Forum Suggestions

Forum Suggestions Member suggestions for the Forum design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 05:17 PM

Default Growth

First I want to thank Colin and all the administrators/moderators for the great job on this forum. This is really turning out great! I think that this forum is going to experience an explosion of growth in the near future as more people figure out the action is here. As the forum grows in numbers the rate of growth increases exponentialy due to all the members telling friends and coworkers. Is there a plan to be able to handle this?

Eiji
Old 08-16-2008, 06:01 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Growth

You're right it's going very well.

The heart of the plan, as I understand it, was to start from the beginning with a solid GROUP of administrators and moderators (rather than a just one guy) in order to share the responsibility and burden so the stress doesn't overwhelm anyone.

So there is plenty of capacity and flexibility built in to accommodate growth.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:13 PM

Thanks Michael I couldn't have put it better myself.

PS: If it was a technical question...... the servers are cutting edge and the application we are using is more than capable.

PPS: Thanks for the complements ...

Last edited by Admin; 08-16-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-17-2008, 03:58 AM
Founding Member

Eiji,

To extend Colin's comment...

Good points and a very good question! The mods and admins have been discussing this for a while. Like many things, the key issues are what you should and when you should do it.

Regarding the "when", this is a toughie because we don't want to overreact or under-react.

Regarding the "what", this falls into three categories:

Mod and Admin Team - Right now, we have a pretty good team of Mods and Admins. The team approach allows us lots of flexibility and we can back fill each other. If one of us needs a break, gets sick, or takes a vacation, others can fill in. Our current team should be able to handle the load for the near and medium term.

System Resources - We are on an advanced that that will expand to meet future needs.

Forum Software - talkFestool uses vBulletin forum software. It is the best, most secure software available. It hosts some VERY large forums.

A big example from the the vBulletin support forum:
Threads: 129,265, Posts: 7,589,135, Members: 58,461
(The admin on this forum mentioned that they had some threads with 14,000 posts!)
JLC Online:
Threads: 37,245, Posts: 361,509, Members: 18,328
Sawmill Creek:
Threads: 87,161, Posts: 901,022, Members: 36,465, Active Members: 9,320
This software has excellent expandability.

Forum Structure -We are looking at ways of making forum structure changes to better meet our needs. The goal is to make the forum readable and easy to use.

Note - One thing we want to do is implement well-considered changes. WE do NOT want to make fast, continual changes because constant change is a hassle for all of us.

Regards,

Dan.