talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > General Information > Forum Help Desk > Forum Suggestions

Forum Suggestions Member suggestions for the Forum design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Inactive Member

Default Slight Change to "New Posts" feature

I can't believe I am about to say what I am about to say, but there is a feature from another forum which I have recently become quite fond of, and I was wondering if this forum software can be tailored to be similar.

Right now when I click on the "New Posts" link at the top of the menu bar, it brings up a listing of new posts that are customized to the last time I visited. This is good, but if there was a posting that I hadn't looked at previously, it automatically gets filtered out of the list the next time I visit the site, simply because I already visited the site.

If you are just quickly checking in on the forum for some other purpose (say a PM reply) this can be confusing, or not seeing something new when you later have more time to actually check out the new stuff.

I don't know if I am alone in this thought, but I would like to be able to see a chronological listing of all new postings, regardless of when I last logged in. Say for example, a listing of the last 100 postings that were made to the entire forum across all subforums, and independent of the user login history.

Or better still, the option to see "new posts since I last logged in", and also "the last 100 postings from the current date/time".
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Oakcin6591

I agree, I miss that feature a lot!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps it's there and I haven't found it, but I'd also like to see a "replies to your posts" button...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:47 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickChristopherson View Post

Or better still, the option to see "new posts since I last logged in", and also "the last 100 postings from the current date/time".
This is a nice feature to have, especially if you are looking for a post from a specific person.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Founding Member

Poto, I'm not sure what you're thinking of. Can you post this as a separate suggestion so we can discuss it? Thanks.

Rick, I'm confused. It appears to me that it currently work the way you want it. What I'm seeing is a "New Posts" listing, following by a separator bar that says, "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts" Isn't this what you're asking for?

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 PM

Dan
I see it the way you are seeing it, any thing you do not read stays there until either:- you read it , you mark all as read or the built in control kicks in, which I am sure is set to ten days before it auto deletes them off there..
Old 08-08-2008, 09:06 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

What I'd like to see, and I think it's what Rick wants too, is a list of recent posts rather than (or in addition to) the list of recent threads that have received posts.

In that other forum it appears in the Info Center at the bottom of the Home Page and it's displayed as Recent Posts.

Each and every post is listed so it looks a bit redundant as the same thread title is appears over and over but each post is distinguished by the name of the member who posted it.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Founding Member

OK, I think I understand what you're asking for. But I'm wondering about the value.

Most posts don't have a title. So if it listed unread posts, it would show a listing of either blank titles or maybe the original thread title repeated "x" number of times. You still have to click each one to see what the content is.

In the current talkFestool "New Posts" implementation, clicking "New Posts" brings up a list of unread threads. You can either 1) click the thread title to read from the top, or 2) click the black down arrow to take you to the first unread post in that thread.

This second option would take you to the first unread post and you could scan it to see if you wanted to read it. This seems like a better method. How should it be changed?

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post
OK, I think I understand what you're asking for. But I'm wondering about the value.
Michael nailed it quite well.

As of just a month ago, this feature had no value to me, because I simply checked for new threads in the specific functional areas where I could provide answers (i.e new tool discussions). However, over the past month I had begun checking all new topics (for personal reasons) and now that I am accustomed to doing that, I have found that I like it a lot. I end up reading things and meeting people that I would otherwise never do.

Consider this example: I log in to the forum and I read a new posting from a topic that I normally wouldn't read. Later that same day, the full impact of what I had read suddenly hits me as to its innate value, so I go back to re-read it. Well, because I had already read the topic once that day, it no longer appears anywhere on the New Posts page, and I have to try to hunt through the forum to find out where it was located.

I think that maybe the easiest way to describe this is to have a single location where all postings can be viewed across all sub-forums from a pure chronological order, regardless whether I had already read them or not.

Quote:
Most posts don't have a title. So if it listed unread posts, it would show a listing of either blank titles or maybe the original thread title repeated "x" number of times. You still have to click each one to see what the content is.
This is correct, and is exactly what I was expecting, although the name of the poster would distinguish one listing from another.

Quote:
In the current talkFestool "New Posts" implementation, clicking "New Posts" brings up a list of unread threads. You can either 1) click the thread title to read from the top, or 2) click the black down arrow to take you to the first unread post in that thread.
The two key words here are "unread" and "thread". What I am proposing is to ignore what has be read versus unread, and also to deal with it on a post-by-post basis instead of thread-by-thread.

So, is this feasible, or does the software not support the concept?

Thanks for considering this and listening so carefully. I really appreaciate that more than you know.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 PM

Rick,
A list of the days posts can be generated by simply going to quick links and clicking today's post and it will list all the posts made today regardless of whether you have read them or not. Is this what you are looking for ?

Regards

Colin.