talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > General Information > Forum Help Desk > Forum Suggestions

Forum Suggestions Member suggestions for the Forum design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickChristopherson View Post
Michael nailed it quite well.

As of just a month ago, this feature had no value to me, because I simply checked for new threads in the specific functional areas where I could provide answers (i.e new tool discussions). However, over the past month I had begun checking all new topics (for personal reasons) and now that I am accustomed to doing that, I have found that I like it a lot. I end up reading things and meeting people that I would otherwise never do.

Consider this example: I log in to the forum and I read a new posting from a topic that I normally wouldn't read. Later that same day, the full impact of what I had read suddenly hits me as to its innate value, so I go back to re-read it. Well, because I had already read the topic once that day, it no longer appears anywhere on the New Posts page, and I have to try to hunt through the forum to find out where it was located.

I think that maybe the easiest way to describe this is to have a single location where all postings can be viewed across all sub-forums from a pure chronological order, regardless whether I had already read them or not.

This is correct, and is exactly what I was expecting, although the name of the poster would distinguish one listing from another.

The two key words here are "unread" and "thread". What I am proposing is to ignore what has be read versus unread, and also to deal with it on a post-by-post basis instead of thread-by-thread.

So, is this feasible, or does the software not support the concept?

Thanks for considering this and listening so carefully. I really appreaciate that more than you know.
Rick,

I'm getting a better understanding of what you want. I think there are three issues:

Posts vs Threads

First is the question of whether "New Posts" can be displayed as "Posts" rather than as "Threads" (regardless of how you filtered the list). AFAIK, this is not possible right now with the vBulletin software.

That said, there are some enhancements that may give you more control. We'd have to research and test each one in detail to ensure that it didn't break the system. I did a quick look-see, but couldn't find anything that would obviously produce a listing of unread posts.

Unread Threads Vs Today's Threads

• The top category contains threads with unread posts that have been updated since your last visit.
  • The second category contains threads with unread posts in the last 10 days. The separator bar says, "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts."
Today's Posts - When you click "Quick Links --> Today's Posts", it will show threads that are new or have been updated within the last 24 hours. These are listed in two categories:
  • The top category contains threads with unread posts that have been updated since your last visit.
  • The second category contains all threads that are new or have been updated threads within the last 24 hours. The separator bar says, "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit or since forums have been marked read."
Jump To First Unread Post - In all thread listings, there is a little black down arrow to the left of the thread title. This arrow takes to you to the first unread post in that thread.

I'm not sure if I completely understand what you're asking for or if I've clearly explained how the vBulletin software work. That said and with the exception of "Threads vs Posts", I think the software can do what you want.

At least in the short term, there's not much that we can do about the "Threads vs Posts" issue.

Regards,

Dan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-09-2008, 06:38 AM

Hi,

The Todays Posts in quick links is another variation, and partially what Rick is talking about. It brings up the list of threads for the day that have had posts added, whether or not you read them. I believe this is what Rick would like to have but - a list of posts not threads.

There is some other handy stuff in Quick Links also

Seth
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post
Hi,

The Todays Posts in quick links is another variation, and partially what Rick is talking about. It brings up the list of threads for the day that have had posts added, whether or not you read them. I believe this is what Rick would like to have but - a list of posts not threads.

There is some other handy stuff in Quick Links also

Seth
Seth,

Yes, I believe that's what I wrote. Also, as I mentioned that's not possible AFAIK.

One point that I did not mention was that this would have to be a user-selectable option. Some members would not want it; others not.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post
Seth,

Yes, I believe that's what I wrote. Also, as I mentioned that's not possible AFAIK.

One point that I did not mention was that this would have to be a user-selectable option. Some members would not want it; others not.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi,

Dan, yup. It was late and I was not reading carefully.

Seth