talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > General Information > Forum Help Desk > Forum Suggestions

Forum Suggestions Member suggestions for the Forum design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 02:20 PM

Default Ignore forums?

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if it would be possible to allow a member to ignore all the posts in a specific forum?

I came here to learn about Festools and what people who use them are making with them. I understand that others here are interested in other fine tools as well, and recognize that the manufacturers forums are a valid reflection of that interest.

I find that I'm not really interested in reading many of those posts.

I thought about blocking the respective members of each of those forums as a way to avoid seeing the start of new threads/posts in the respective manufacturer's forum, but I concluded that that would also block their posts to the other Festool and project related forums.

Any thoughts on a solution?

Jay
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Ignore forums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKnoll View Post

... I came here to learn about Festools and what people who use them are making with them. I understand that others here are interested in other fine tools as well, and recognize that the manufacturers forums are a valid reflection of that interest.

Any thoughts on a solution?
Jay, I thought we had handled that pretty well by having a separate forum for almost any subject. As everyone knows, the subject in any given post can wander quite a bit around here, but we do work hard at keeping the primary subject matter in its proper forum.

If you want to limit your reading to strictly Festool based subjects, why can't you just stay in those forums? Is there a way that we can do a better job of separating them? Suggestions?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:41 PM

John

My thought wasn't a criticism of the moderators, but more an observation on what happens when I click on the "New Posts" links and then just start reading posts without checking on the forum in which they are posted.

I know we wander around here a bit (a lot? ) but frankly I'm trying to avoid some of the conversations that, perhaps, could lead one to decide that it just isn't worth it to even check in here.

Jay
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:

... I click on the "New Posts" links and then just start reading posts without checking on the forum in which they are posted.
I don't use the "New Posts" feature, I just look over the front page and see which forums are showing that something new has been posted.

As a moderator I think it's important that I read every word of every post, every day. But if I were not a moderator, there are a few forums here that I would rarely click on. Not that there's anything wrong them, but very few of us are interested in every subject presented here. The idea is to have a little something for everyone.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:32 PM

I too use the "New Posts" feature, but I cant say that there is enough activity in total on this site that could include too much "unwanted" information. I usually check twice a day and very rarely are there more then 15-20 posts that have new comments. Granted some of those posts are things im not interested in, but every once in a while theres a post from a section that I normally wouldn't go in that end up being informative or interesting. Just a thought.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
John

My thought wasn't a criticism of the moderators, but more an observation on what happens when I click on the "New Posts" links and then just start reading posts without checking on the forum in which they are posted.

I know we wander around here a bit (a lot? ) but frankly I'm trying to avoid some of the conversations that, perhaps, could lead one to decide that it just isn't worth it to even check in here.

Jay
Jay,

When you open up talkFestool click on User CP which is up near the top next to FAQ. This will then show you only the posts that you are subscribed to and that have a new post since you were last there. I hope that this helps.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 04-27-2010, 04:21 PM

Yeah, another example of what a superior person you are, and another reason to make addition to my ignore list
Old 04-27-2010, 05:43 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

It is curious how memories are prompted. Like,

"Seinfeld, party of four."

For my wife and I that is shorthand to be patient.
Many will recall that the line was delivered in a Chinese accent.

Which reminds me of this,

Henry Kissinger has a brother (Walter) who speaks in a perfectly normal New York accent. When asked why Henry maintains a heavy German accent Walter replied, "Because Henry never listens".
Old 04-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

It is curious how memories are prompted. Like,

"Seinfeld, party of four."
I love Seinfeld, and never seem to get tired of watching my favorite episodes.

The other evening I sat down to watch Seinfeld after a long day of clashing egos on this forum.

The episode just happened to be "The Soup Nazi".

No soup for you, little man!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I love Seinfeld, and never seem to get tired of watching my favorite episodes.

The other evening I sat down to watch Seinfeld after a long day of clashing egos on this forum.

The episode just happened to be "The Soup Nazi".

No soup for you, little man!
Which prompts,

"Ya gets no bread with one meatball."