talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > General Information > Forum Help Desk > Forum Suggestions

Forum Suggestions Member suggestions for the Forum design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 05:54 AM

Default I would love a chat feature

I think a chat feature to be able to chat it up with you festoolin buddies here would be sweet. The PM's are just way too slow.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.
Default Re: I would love a chat feature

Sounds good to me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Founding Member

I agree completely - a chat box would be awesome. Unfortunately, this falls under "TANSTAFL" (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch).

A couple of years ago, the FOG admin and I tested chat as a potential addin. He installed it and we tested for a couple weeks. We thought it was great, but he found that the bandwidth used was enormous. So the idea was canned.

A few minutes ago, I did some research in the vBulletin (our forum software) support forums. Apparently the resource usage problem has not been solved. Several people reported that their bandwidth used jumped 500-1000% after installing chat. To put it mildly, this heavy resource load makes me nervous.

Another issue is a major software upgrade is coming in the next couple of months. It will provide some nice features for talkFestool and will be easier to support. The downside is that it could cause some current features (like user-defined stylesheets) to break. To reduce risk for the major software upgrade, we're trying to keep the current software as is except for minor upgrades (hopefully one this weekend).

After the new V4.0 software is released, let's revisit this idea. Perhaps the resource usage issue will be solved by then.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" was coined in the 1930's during the American depression. Local bars would offer a "free" lunch if you bought a beer. What they didn't mention was that the beer was cheap, watered down garbage, and the lunch consisted of a boiled egg and a pickle.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:31 PM

I'm not so sure I like the chat feature. When I was on Nickao's site, most of the discussions ended up in chat and made for less in the posting area. The chat area disappears as well and you can't see previous posts very far back.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnagle View Post
I'm not so sure I like the chat feature. When I was on Nickao's site, most of the discussions ended up in chat and made for less in the posting area. The chat area disappears as well and you can't see previous posts very far back.
I tend to agree, the chat may work well for some instances but I often go back into threads for reference information that I've forgotten. As an example, I just went back & found the Enco Tools free shipping code (PFSNOV) that Steve had posted for us on the granite surface plates.

On the other hand, it would be nice for OFF TOPIC discussion (I never do that ) to keep the meat of the thread pure.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

They'd end up being pretty scrawny threads, Ron!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:13 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
They'd end up being pretty scrawny threads, Ron!
Lean & mean...
Old 12-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

"Scrawny"

"Lean and mean"

and dry.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
"Scrawny"

"Lean and mean"

and dry.
See the thread about whisk(e)y