talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > General Information > Forum Help Desk > Forum Suggestions

Forum Suggestions Member suggestions for the Forum design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 02:28 PM

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. Perhaps showing the threads user responses in the same window your are writing a reply to that thread would benefit me.

I find myself going back to gather the thread's info while replying to it.

Victor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteknical View Post
Sorry if this has already been mentioned. Perhaps showing the threads user responses in the same window your are writing a reply to that thread would benefit me.

I find myself going back to gather the thread's info while replying to it.

Victor

Hi,

I am not sure if it is just a setting thing. But it does in my view. Try scrolling down.

Seth
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-2008, 03:50 PM

Thanks Seth
I'm good now, it was in my setting.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Something else I'd like is to be able to quote several messages in a reply. I'm sure I'm just being stupid, but I haven't figured out how to do this.

Also, I can't figure out how to quote a post after I've begun my reply, other than cutting and pasting.

Can anyone edumicate me?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:38 PM

Poto,
There is a quote command in bbcode. When posting you can scroll down to the lower left corner of the window and find "Posting Rules" make sure the arrow next to it points down so it's box is open. From there you will see BBcode is On. Click on BBcode to bring up a list of commands and from there look for the quote command. You can copy and paste it right into your post window.

It actually sounds harder than it is to do it. Here my example with cut and paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto
Something else I'd like is to be able to quote several messages in a reply. I'm sure I'm just being stupid, but I haven't figured out how to do this.

Also, I can't figure out how to quote a post after I've begun my reply, other than cutting and pasting.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Sure, but then you actually have to do something. I'm the point-and-click generation, baby!

But here goes, just for the heck of it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwas
Click on BBcode to bring up a list of commands and from there look for the quote command. You can copy and paste it right into your post window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto
I still say it's a pretty awkward way of doing it. Why can't we have a button on each post in a thread in the reply window allowing us to insert a quote?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwas View Post
Poto,
There is a quote command in bbcode. When posting you can scroll down to the lower left corner of the window and find "Posting Rules" make sure the arrow next to it points down so it's box is open. From there you will see BBcode is On. Click on BBcode to bring up a list of commands and from there look for the quote command. You can copy and paste it right into your post window.

It actually sounds harder than it is to do it. Here my example with cut and paste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Can anyone edumicate me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Sure, but then you actually have to do something. I'm the point-and-click generation, baby!

But here goes, just for the heck of it:

I still say it's a pretty awkward way of doing it. Why can't we have a button on each post in a thread in the reply window allowing us to insert a quote?

Poto you can always use the point and click multi- quote button......
Old 08-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Suggestion for improvement

The problem with that is that you have to know what/who you want to quote before you reply. Which I never do...
Old 08-23-2008, 08:19 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned, but how about emailing all members if there will be a significant down time on the forum.

I received an email once the forum was back up and running, but during the down-time that lasted a day or so, I was not sure if it was my computer not allowing me access, or if the entire forum was down / off-line.

Now I realize the server was down, but an email telling members it will be down would be nice, and keep us from wondering if it's just us experiencing an issue.

Mike
Old 08-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiterMaster View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned, but how about emailing all members if there will be a significant down time on the forum.

I received an email once the forum was back up and running, but during the down-time that lasted a day or so, I was not sure if it was my computer not allowing me access, or if the entire forum was down / off-line.

Now I realize the server was down, but an email telling members it will be down would be nice, and keep us from wondering if it's just us experiencing an issue.

Mike
Mike,

That's strange. You should have received this e-mail that went to all members:
Quote:
Dear <member>,

Don't come to talkFestool.com. We know it's surprising we're saying that, but until our service provider fixes some problems, you don't want to.

We are working on the problem now, and we will send you another email when we're running again.

Thank you for your patience.

talkFestool Team
Please accept my (and our) apologies if you didn't. We've been heads down first trying to solve the problem with our original forum host and then moving the forum a completely different new hosting company (Media Temple) on a completely different type of server.

As we mentioned in the e-mail just sent out, we (actually Ned) are working to resolve the final thumbnail issue. Please let us know if you see any other strangeness.

Again, please accept our apologies for the communication mixup.

Regards,

Dan.