talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > General Information > Forum Help Desk > Forum Features & How-to FAQ

Forum Features & How-to FAQ A list of Tip and tricks on how to better use talkFestool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Founding Member

Default Resizing and Prepping Images

When you upload images to talkFestool, our software can resize your images automatically to keep them with the maximum file sizes. However...

You will almost always get better results from decent image processing software. For example, PhotoShop CS3 defaults to a bicubic algorithm for resizing. And it has several other algorithms available for image resizing. (I've had the best results with standard Bicubic, followed by applying a little Unsharp Mask at between 30 and 50%.)

Regarding image processing, my work flow is:

1) Crop image to remove extraneous parts and focus on the imporant elements.

2) Adjust lighting and color if necessary. (I typically just use "Levels" in PhotoShop. "Image --> Adjustments --> Levels..." in PhotoShop CS3 or "Enhance --> Adjust Lighting --> Levels..." in PhotoShop Elements 6.)

3) Resize image. ("Image --> Image Size..." in PS CS3 or "Image --> Resize --> Image Size..." in PSE 6.)

4) Sharpen lightly ("Filter --> Sharpen --> Unsharp Mask..." in PS CS3 or "Enhance --> Unsharp Mask..." in PSE 6.)

5) Export for the web. ("File --> Save for Web & Devices..." in PS CS3 or "File --> Save for Web..." in PSE 6.)

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Resizing and Prepping Images

Dan & all:
I found irfanview years ago and it is freeware. While I love CS2/3, free it certainly ain't.
irfanview is uber simple, resize, crop, sharpen, whatever. Almost too easy. Nowhere near the ability to modify an image that Photoshop has in it's pinky, nevertheless. Very useful and quick for people wanting to trim a file size down for posting.
Just do a search and I think it takes all of 20 seconds to download. Literally.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Founding Member

Good points! Some other options:
Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:02 PM

If you don't want to deal with another software just for resizing pictures, there are free websites that can resize the picture for you.

You just have to select your picture, select a size , special effect (optional), quality of new size and click resize button.

Resize Images online

Attached Thumbnails
resizing-prepping-images-screensnapz.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-14-2008, 11:13 PM

Microsoft Picture Manager gives you a choice of compression, I use "web"
Old 09-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Founding Member

fidelfs, Jay,

Thanks! Another couple of nice options.

Dan.