talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > General Information > Forum Help Desk > Forum Features & How-to FAQ

Forum Features & How-to FAQ A list of Tip and tricks on how to better use talkFestool.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

Default Friends???

Okay - I'm dating myself - but what are Friends? I know, I know, I need a social life. I mean the Friends feature on the forum. What does it do? What's the advantage to having Friends? Maybe I'm just too old for this. I don't even have a cell phone, let alone a MySpace page (though I've heard of MySpace...)

I respectfully open myself to the inevitable onslaught of jokes that my (unintentional) straight lines have left me open to...
Old 08-07-2008, 03:17 AM

I can try to answer your question. It is a feature in the board's software to add a function that is common in MySpace.

Problem is we can't seem to figure out usefulness. Several of us moderators signed up as friends and we see no purpose in it.

I thought the feature was going to be turned off but either it got sidetracked, or it's something we can't turn off.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:35 AM

Poto,
Stole form the FAQ from the top of the page, hope it helps

Friends and Contacts What is the difference between a friend and a contact?
A friendship is a mutual, two-way relationship between two users. It is initiated by one user and accepted by the other.
A contact is a one-way friendship. This could be where the other person does not accept the friendship, a friendship request is pending, or you do not wish to be friends at this time but want to show them as a contact only.
Where is list of friends and contacts displayed?
Your friends and contacts are displayed on the 'Contacts and Friends' page in your User CP. Your friends are also displayed in your profile page.
How can I request a friend, accept a friend or break a friendship?
There are two ways to request a friendship with someone.
The easiest way is to view the profile page of the person you want to become friends with and click the 'Befriend' link.
The other way is to add the person to your contacts first. Then from your 'Contacts and Friends' page ask to be their friend by checking the box next to their name labelled 'Friend'. Next, save the page.
If you know the username of the person you want to be friends with you can send a friend request using the box provided and clicking 'Add Friend'.
To accept a friend, go to your 'Contacts and Friends' page. At the bottom of the page you will see a list of pending requests. Check the box for the requests you wish to accept then check the 'Accept' button and save the changes. If you do not wish to be friends then select 'Reject' instead.
Breaking a friendship can be done in three ways.
  • From your 'Contacts and Friends' page, uncheck the box for friend for the particular person and save the changes. If you no longer wish them to be a contact either, uncheck both boxes for that person.
  • In your 'Profile Page', click 'Friends' and then click 'Break Friendship' next to the user's name.
  • In the other person's profile, click 'Friends' then find your username and click 'Break Friendship'.

Still seems a pretty useless feature though

Last edited by Admin; 08-07-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Well - I got the "how to add friends" part (I'm the proud owner of 2). But I still don't see what I do with them! I'd like to think that you're all my friends. Group hug?

:sdrool:
Old 08-17-2008, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Friends???

I agree with Poto, and I guess with everyone else, a group hug would be
nice.
The other day I wanted to contact someone on on SMC. He had some 4,600
posts and no friends. Go figure
Bob