talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018, 12:29 PM

Default Rubio Monocoat

Hello folks! Havenít been around for a while...
Has anyone of you used this stuff? It seems to be gaining popularity among woodworkers. It seems to tick all the boxes, and Iím getting curious. Itís not cheap by the way!
https://www.rubiomonocoat.com/en/p/p.../15-rmc-oil-2c
Attached Thumbnails
rubio-monocoat-0d7b59c4-8563-4e97-8fa5-e2ce76395ef1.jpeg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-2018, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Rubio Monocoat

I do not know about that product but have started using Emmets Good Stuff on my rocking chairs, I like it very much, very easy to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Wood-Welded-E...ets+good+stuff

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-07-2018, 06:17 AM

For me, it seems the big advantage of Rubio monocoat is itís one coat and finished.
Very fast, especially attractive for those of us in business. I do a lot of spray finishing which is often a three step process, starting with a sealer/filler, sanding sealer and top coat, with sanding in between so in and out of the spray room, cleaning spray equipment and needing a dust free environment.
Obviously thatís a totally different finish in comparison. The Rubio stuff has a very Matt/natural look to it.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

OKAMI!!! So great to see you again!

I've never even heard of that stuff - I'd love to hear what you think of it. It seems like the downside of one-coat coverage is the possibility of really screwing things up in one shot.

Let us know what you discover. In the mean time, I'll see whether I can find some of that stuff to try...
Old 11-08-2018, 02:41 PM

Hey Poto!!
It seems to be foolproof if you have a little experience with finishing and keep within its 15min working time. It doesnít suffer from overlay marking like many finishes do, itís really interesting stuff. Most apply it with a squeegee But some also use a rotex with a soft scotchbrite pad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GaiGI3Izqvo
Old 11-10-2018, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Very cool. I'll have to try that. Any sense of how resistant it is to, say, moisture rings from a glass of cold water? It seems too easy!