talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2015, 05:32 AM

Default Finish input sought

Hi,

In my quest to make something for our new home I have settled on the fireplace mantle.

The house is of Craftsman design. Last weekend we had free spring cleanup dump so I sent the kids old redwood swing set packing. In this process I reclaimed a fair amount of the redwood and decided that this would be neat project for some of that wood.

Here is a basic concept photo of where I am headed:

finish-input-sought-img_1639.jpg

Realizing that the redwood is very soft and it will get dinged some with time I am struggling with a finish for the project. I think repair in the future will be very likely.

I normally use a Target Coatings 9300 clear Waterborne Poly Cat Urethane, it remains water clear and allows the normal color of the wood to show. It is very hard and protective. The cabinet shop will use something like this for the cabinets.

I have also thought about shellac. I have very little experience with shellac. Having never sprayed it I wounder if my spray skills are up to the challenge of a new product on a piece that will be on front and center display... The easy repair that shellac provides is inviting however.

Considering that Craftsman style homes were popular in the 20's and 30's would shellac be the period correct finish to use??

I would like the final finish to be not terribly glossy.

Suggestion, thoughts and ideas sought....

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Finish input sought

Hi Mark,

I would suggest Shellac as the finish of choice. It will give you as much gloss as you want because the gloss is dependent on the amount of sanding and rubbing you do between coats. I think an oil would be too flat, unless you hard burnish it, but even then, I think Shellac would be better.

Regards,

Rob
Old 04-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Shellacs poor heat tolerance and a fireplace mantle sounds like a mismatch. Perhaps a distressed finish would help alleviate the repair needs?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:25 PM

I'd probably go with one of the Sikkens outdoor type finishes (I use this type of stuff for all my house finishing needs)
Should be alright with the heat and changing temperatures, and is pretty tough stuff. I'm not a finishing pro by the way.
Cetol® Door & Window | Exterior Stain | Sikkens® US
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:37 AM

I was able to install the Mantle I made today.I am real happy with how the whole thing worked out.

I ended up finishing with Target Coatings 9300.

finish-input-sought-fullsizerender.jpg
Old 09-03-2015, 07:37 AM

Looks fantastic!
What was the finishing procedure, and what type is the 9300?
Cheers!
Old 09-04-2015, 02:00 AM

The finish is Target coatings 9300 clear semigloss. You can find their website for more information.

Procedure was to prep with planes and a little sanding then shoot the 9300 with HVLP. That was it! the redwood was much browner and dull before finish and I was surprised how the 9300 brought out the color, very cool.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:41 AM
Administrator

Did you need to match an existing profile in the block wall? How is that anchored?
Old 09-04-2015, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sta2lt View Post
The finish is Target coatings 9300 clear semigloss. You can find their website for more information.
Here's some information on target coatings 9300, from their website, for anyone interested:

EM9300 Polycarbonate Urethane:
Exterior Durability with Fine Finish Results
Target Coatings EM9300 Waterborne Polycarbonate Urethane is a water-clear, non-yellowing polycarbonate urethane coating engineered to provide exceptional adhesion to wood, non-ferrous metal, fiberglass, stone, cement and carbon fiber substrates. Formulated as a final topcoat for high-end applications such as exterior structural architectural woodwork, beams and window/door packages and applications that require a hard yet flexible coating in high UV exposure environments. EM9300 offers excellent water resistance during vertical water exposures.

EM9300 Polycarbonate Urethane can be fortified with our CL100 Cross-Linker for use in interior applications only. We do not recommend the use of CL100 in EM9300 for long-term exterior exposure applications. Consult with Target Coatings technical support for more information regarding the use of CL100 in EM9300.

I did use a few gallons of target coatings gear several years back. I quite liked their stuff. One of the main reasons I didn't continue with them was availability overseas and lack of dealers where I could strike a deal for regular shipments.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:15 AM

Okami,

Thanks for posting the stuff from their site. I was put onto Target by Jerry Work who sent me there for finish on the Purple Heart Bookcase project. I am able to get it locally here through a paint dealer.

PaulG,

I made an exact template from the back of the mantle out of plywood and mounted it to the wall. The Mason/tile setter then placed the rock exactly in it's outline.

I mounted it through the holes in the front. Those holes once held the swing mounts on the cross bar. That piece of wood was a 4x6 at one time. I drove 6" long black torque screws down those holes and into 2x6 blocking in the wall.

With Redwood being so soft I was worried about the screws being pulled out the back. To overcome this concern I bored those holes from the back side to 1". I then turned some hardwood dowels from scraps and epoxied them in the back. I figure that those will take the load. It will not need to carry much weight. A few 1x redwood boards were added behind the plugs to make up the depth I needed. The top and bottom boards were resawed from the same beam the swing hangers were attached to. The top is about 8" deep and overall with is about 54". The holes are not centered due to spacing of the swing hangers and my need to work around a fracture in the beam.

It was a fun project, my last till I get moved. Tomorrow I pack up all my hand tools for the move. I can hardly wait to get into the new shop.