talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Finishing (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/finishing/)
-   -   child safe finishes? (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/finishing/6540-child-safe-finishes.html)

Paul 12-15-2014 06:25 PM

child safe finishes?

Any experts out there on child-safe finishes? I have read that "Any commercial finish is safe, once it has dried and cured."

What about toys that kids will chew on? I plan an oil and wax type finish on the lathe - no paint to flake off, etc., is that safe for kids to chew on?

I am using Liberons' lathe polish - quick, nice finish. A little shiny for kids toys, but easy to use. I have asked Liberon for details, will let you know if I hear from them, for your information. In the meantime, I thought this group of experts might have an opinion.

Thanks everyone, and happy holidays.

Poto 12-15-2014 06:30 PM

Re: child safe finishes?

I finished my child in Desitin. Left a nice shine, and prevented diaper rash.

Oh - you mean a finish for stuff to give to the child! I'd suggest a food-safe oil such as walnut or mineral. Easy to re-apply when the drool starts to stain.

rutager 12-15-2014 07:19 PM

I always use Behlen's Salad Bowl Finish on anything that will go to children as it is actually been tested and approved as a food safe finish. I'm not taking chances.

Lots of waxes have toxic chemicals in them, so I would be very careful, maybe just bees wax?

Anything I make that I think Poto will chew on gets a lead based paint!

Wonderwino 12-15-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rutager (Post 90064)
I always use Behlen's Salad Bowl Finish on anything that will go to children as it is actually been tested and approved as a food safe finish. I'm not taking chances.

Anything I make that I think Poto will chew on gets a lead based paint!

I wonder if you could color the Behlen's with food coloring? Never tried it, but if it's safe for cupcakes, it should be okay for toys.

Good call for Poto - lead paint holds up much better in seawater. :devildance:

jessecloud 12-15-2014 11:32 PM

Here's a few thoughts on that question:

Unfinished is probably best safety wise.

When I make a cutting board for a gift and the wife insists it should be shiny, I apply a food-based oil, whatever is around, usually canola, and buff like any other oil.

Wax will make it soft to the touch, and help a little to keep it from drying out, if that is desireable. There is "Food Grade Wax" regulated by the FDA. It is applied to a great number of fruits and veg sold commercially. Many food grade waxes are made from petroleum products, but the theory is that in wax format they are indigestible. Personally, I wouldn't wax something a kid was likely to put in his mouth.

Odie's has food grade finish with no solvents. I haven't used it, but I like other products in that line. Available on line, maybe at Woodcraft.

Final thought, when I was a curious but dumb kid, I put a lot of nasty stuff in my mouth. Can't remember any problems other than an awful taste from time to time.:rolleyes:

Sta2lt 12-16-2014 03:35 AM

I bought a 1 lb block of bees wax at the local farmers market, it works wonders on lathe projects. Leaves a very nice feel. I apply with speed turned way down then spin it fast and burnish with paper towel.

Paul 12-16-2014 05:57 PM

Beeswax and I don't get along - it, or my head, is too dense to use it right. I'll try your method, sounds better than mine.

Sta2lt 12-16-2014 07:44 PM

The bees wax goes on kinda chunky, the high speed burnish with paper towel heats it up and smooths it nicely. Good luck.

Ausrob 12-16-2014 10:43 PM

Hi,

I'm with Poto on this. Mineral Oil if you don't want to take chances.

Ask Liberon if their Tung Oil is food safe. They should say yes. There are rare occurrences of "anaphylaxis" with Tung Oil, but I think you sorta have to drink the entire can to induce it. I use Tung Oil hard burnished on pretty much all my work and use it on my own work benches and tables, chopping boards and stuff and I'm still OK (cough! hack!) It works fine!

Regards,

Rob

Paul 12-16-2014 10:56 PM

I am moving to the camp that suggests most finishes are safe when cured, if they are not cutting boards or surfaces intended for piercing and wet food containment. So long as we don't pass the can around to the grandkids for a drink while we are finishing, the project finish once cured should be safe. These are for toddler toys, not infant pacifiers or chew toys.

Perhaps that is too fast and loose, I will let you know what the big chemical brains at Liberon have to say. My kids or their spouses are all chemical engineers, they all have a different opinion, so much for good money spent on education.