talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2014, 04:20 AM

Default Re: child safe finishes?

I've used Dave's Insanity Sauce on the finish to discourage the dogs from chewing up the woodwork. Fortunately, the grandchildren don't seem to want to chew on chair legs.

Charles
Old 12-18-2014, 05:17 PM

I have to think, since the bulk of shellac in the world is used in the making of medicine (coated tablets), someone thinks that one is pretty safe.
I've inhaled enough lacquer my lungs are probably japanned. Not recommending, but I aint dead yet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:46 PM

Liberon replied and said don't use their lathe polish, without any detail on what ingredient it is that is not safe for kids to chew on. I am trying out several different food safe finishes (lemon oil and beeswax, etc.), but think that the answer for me is that normal toys for kids a few years old can get a standard finish, but chew toys for infants should have a food grade finish. Maybe too lax on my approach, guess I'll just let the parents decide - one more benefit of being a grandparent.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!