talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 PM

Default PU, or is that Phoulugly!

Hi all,

Having just finished plastering a mantelpiece with Polyurethane for a guy, I just want to say how very, very much I despise the stuff. Really, really do!!!

Regards,

Rob
Old 06-21-2014, 12:09 AM

Default Re: PU, or is that Phoulugly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrob View Post
Hi all,

Having just finished plastering a mantelpiece with Polyurethane for a guy, I just want to say how very, very much I despise the stuff. Really, really do!!!

Regards,

Rob
What did you not like?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:13 AM

It's plastic and looks it, it scratches easily, it's gloss is artificial, it is not particularly easy to apply and other than that, the gloss will yellow over time. I'll settle for burnished oil every time. 'Course it could just be me and it don't get along!

Regards,

Rob
Old 06-21-2014, 02:08 PM

gosh, I love polyurethane.
The thicker the better.
I like it so deep there is a glass wave on the surface.

Nothing like a tacky restaurant table really thick and deep with photos and stuff buried under it.

Usually have good burgers.

Not in my home of course.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrob View Post
It's plastic and looks it, it scratches easily, it's gloss is artificial, it is not particularly easy to apply and other than that, the gloss will yellow over time. I'll settle for burnished oil every time. 'Course it could just be me and it don't get along!

Regards,

Rob
I can remember when it first came around here in the States. 'Miracle Finish'.... So much better than regular varnish or Shellac or Lacquer... You put that stuff on everything....
then, we all found out how it doesn't like to be recoated, how hard it was to strip off with the sanders and abrasives back in the day, and the yellowing like you mentioned.......
The cracking and crazing after a few years was annoying too. Built-in antique feature.......
I haven't used the oil based stuff in years. I think the last thing was our kitchen floor in '96.