talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Smooth finish with wiping varnish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
Timely thread for me, just picked up a rolling kitchen cart at an estate sale this AM. The butcher block top needs refinishing so it's now all sanded and ready for coating. I'm gonna see if my local Woodcraft has that GF product
A butchers block oil finish might be good for that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-03-2015, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
A butchers block oil finish might be good for that.
Yes I considered that, even perhaps mineral oil, but i'm not intending to have any direct food contact nor using it as a cutting surface. Probably the worst treatment it will get is hot stuff put on it, like stuff coming out of the oven, don't much hear about how finishes hold up to high heat. Maybe oil finish is best for that, IDK. I've had good toughness from marine spar varnish in the past but for this situation it is too yellow IMO, want something relatively clear. Was going to default to GF enduro clear poly but then saw this thread

Last edited by PaulG; 04-03-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:26 PM

I wouldn't recommend straight out of the oven (baking trays, Pyrex glass) direct on a poly type finish. It's likely to melt it I imagine. Unless there is a coating specifically for high temperatures.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend straight out of the oven (baking trays, Pyrex glass) direct on a poly type finish. It's likely to melt it I imagine. Unless there is a coating specifically for high temperatures.
Yea, I don't recall a specific high temp coating, but I haven't been paying attention for such a property. I think this cart top is going to be a test dummy
Old 04-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Administrator

So I tried the GF Arm-R-Seal satin on the kitchen cart top, 4 coats applied w/ sponge brush undiluted w/ #400 sanding between coats. Let each coat dry a day. Want it to cure up about a week before seriously using/abusing. So far looks nice, will see how it holds up.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:18 AM

I'll be interested to hear how it holds up to the hot stuff.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:54 PM

I've had the Arm-R-Seal on a rosewood dining table for several months now and it still is in great shape. The last dinner a lot of spills and it still amazes me how easy it was to clean with a damp cloth.

The breakfast nook walnut table is also holding up quite well even though a few scratches show where a magazine staple got it. It's almost invisable though so I haven't seen a need to repair it.

I'm working on applying several coats of semi-gloss on a large L-Shaped desk top to test it's durability since my wife likes to use pencil to do tax prep work.

Jack
Old 05-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'll be interested to hear how it holds up to the hot stuff.
So it's been 2 years now since refinishing my kitchen cart top with GF Arm R Seal and it has held up really well. It's endured cookie sheets out of the oven, hot coffee cups, hours of moisture from ice condensation, lots of spills and cleaning and general abuse from stuff sliding around. That good performance prompted me to use it again on another bookcase/countertop project I made and it's doing well also, though will be treated a little kinder than the cart.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:36 PM

That's good to know - has anyone compared Arm R Seal to Minwax wipe on polyurethane? I have liked its ease of application, sandability and overall look. I presume it is not as durable, but don't know.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

I would be interested in the comparison. I've used the Minwax Wipe-on poly quite a bit. I like it because it's extremely durable. But it takes quite a few coats to build, and it can make quite a glossy finish (which sometimes detracts from the wood, I think). But it's pretty foolproof.