talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 12:17 AM

Default Water Clear to slight Yellow?

Does anyone have a "recipe" for a water clear, waterborne finish to have the same "yellow color" that oil based Varathane Poly ends up being? I am wondering about adding some Transtint but have no experience with doing so.

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Water Clear to slight Yellow?

That's exactly what I do. From time to time in remodels, there's situations where a wb lacquer is called for. Like, dead of winter, furnace running, people living upstairs.
Honey amber, you can do whatever you like with color, sometimes I put just a touch of medium brown in as well just for the "warmth".
It does not take much. You'll have to experiment. But to answer your question, your instinct is spot on.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-23-2013, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Water Clear to slight Yellow?

Before and after of my mother in law table refinish. I had to sand off the old finish and then the wood was nearly white. Varathane Outdoor Diamond Clear semigloss finish tinted with 15 drops of Transtint Honey Amber in a qt. color is near perfect. Now for the chairs.
Attached Thumbnails
water-clear-slight-yellow-before.jpg   water-clear-slight-yellow-after.jpg