talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 07:13 PM

Default Diluting Liberon Pure Tung Oil for Burnishing

As a result of the "Great Burnish Off", I have performed the following test.

Liberon Pure Tung Oil, is a viscous liquid when purchased. Directions on the can suggest diluting up to 50% with White Spirit when applying early coats.
In practice, the oil in its native state appears to soak in well, but is so viscous that there is still a covering skin on the timber after 60 minutes incubation.
So I made doubling dilutions of the Oil starting at 100% then 50% and 25%. I think I will try 12.5% today.
Incubation was reduced to 20 minutes as well.This was due to time constraints, but has proved serendipitous.

Pic 1 shows the undiluted Oil after wet sanding through 400, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000 and 4000 grits. Each pad was passed over the timber 10 times. (Back and forward being one pass) All samples were treated identically. The raw timber was dry sanded to 400g and washed with Mineral spirit before oil was applied.

Pic 2 shows the 50% dilution treated as above.

Pic 3 shows the 25% dilution again treated as above.

The three samples were applied to areas contiguous on the board, so grain continues through the three test areas.
There is no apparent difference between the 100% and the 50% samples and the 25% also gives excellent and sharp grain differentiation. In my opinion, however, there are some areas in the 25% sample in which the grain appears "flat". This may be due to a shorter incubation time being used and I will repeat the 25% with a 12.5% dilution today.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
diluting-liberon-pure-tung-oil-burnishing-100-.jpg   diluting-liberon-pure-tung-oil-burnishing-50-.jpg   diluting-liberon-pure-tung-oil-burnishing-25-.jpg