talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 02:50 AM

Default Ikea's oil finish..

Well I was walking through Ikea with my wife, and I came across some of their oil finish called behandla. 750ml tins at $9 a pop. For that price I thought I'd get one to open up and have a look. I was curious because it says it's water based but contains linseed and tung oil. it's also made in Germany as is the Livos range of oil finishes I sometimes use. The difference being Livos is about $120 for 2.5litres..
This Ikea stuff is an off-white colour, I was a bit surprised to see upon opening the tin.. Anyway, put some on an offcut of walnut for testing. It goes on white, but quickly turns transparent, and soaks in nicely. It leaves quite a nice matt/ soft sheen look, which I thought was not bad.
Three coats later and after a couple of days curing, I tested it with cold water directly on the walnut and boiling water in a glass teapot. The results really surprised me the finish held up really well to both tests! No marks (usually water leaves faint white stains on a lot of oil finishes) left by the cold water.
The boiling water in the glass teapot was left on until cold...that also left no marking.
That's as far as my testing went, but of you are looking for a budget oil finish, this is worth a look.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Ikea's oil finish..

Wow! That sounds like something worth checking out. How many coats do you think you'd typically put on a piece? Did you rub it on like a typical oil finish? Did it change the color of the wood much? It must have looked different than the typical yellowish oils we usually see.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:05 AM

The fact that you said it is water based indicates that there might be some raising of the grain. I have used some water based polyurethane, which starts out milky, but dries clear. It might be a good idea to wet the wood to pre-raise the grain, sand it down, and then start applying finish.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:59 AM

I reckon 5coats would be enough. The three I put on seemed good
I've used and tested many many oil finishes, and this ain't bad. For the price, very good..
I gave the walnut a quick smoothing with my LV Bevel up smoother, and didn't touch it with paper. I rubbed the finish on with a cloth. This stuff soaked right in and quick, leaving hardly anything to wipe off, that was great..
I was expecting the grain to raise, but on the small piece of scrap I tested on, the grain stayed down. I imagine I got lucky there, and some light sanding might be required after the first coat.
As for the looks, it's not got that haze that water based products leave, it looks like an oil finish. If you want a high sheen with this, you may have to use multiple coats. 4-5 coats will leave a nice sheen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-19-2012, 04:04 AM

Actually, some 100% pure tung oil I bought recently from Woodcraft is a little milky at lower room temperatures. I called them up about it and they said that it had a high fat content, but doesn't have any ill effects upon application. I have verified that they are correct on that matter.

Charles
Old 05-19-2012, 05:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

I normally love oil finishes for a lot of reasons, but recently I was told to not use them on the inside of small boxes unless I sealed it later. They claimed that over time the box would smell and/or get musty or moldy. Today someone suggested Maloof's poly oil finish. Anyone know if that would be okay?

Mike
Old 05-19-2012, 05:31 AM

I wouldn't use that either to be honest, Mike. You do mean the poly, linseed, tung oil mix, right?
The smell will never leave, everytime the box, cabinet, drawers are opened you'll be greeted with a nose full of it
For those kinds of situations you'd be better with a shellac. Personally, I like using target coatings (any other brand will do) varnish. I put it on with a foam brush, it dries flat and leaves a good strong finish.. Low smell too
Old 05-19-2012, 01:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Thanks. Guess I'll stick with shellac. I had tried Liberon Finishing Oil on a piece of scrap and liked the look. I suppose I could do that and then seal it up with shellac.........

Mike
Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 PM

Today I tried the ikea finish on cherry, maple and oak samples.
The cherry came out pretty bland..maybe not a good finish for You Potosan since its your wood of choice.
The maple kept a natural look, and didn't yellow much, like an oil based finish would. I kind of liked that.
The Oak came out good, it seems the darker woods look best with this finish, or good if you like the lighter woods (maple, ash) to keep their natural colour.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for testing it out for us, Okamisan. I wonder how the cherry would look after getting some sun?

These days for most of my furniture I use the Maloof oil from Rockler (I'm too lazy to make my own). I love the way it goes on, and it always leaves a flawless finish. For pieces that will get some wear and tear I use the Minwax wipe-on poly (gloss). Both those finishes build up nicely, though the wipe-on poly is more prone to getting dust nibs for some reason. It's pretty indestructible, though.