talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 07:45 AM

Default Sandpaper Recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for sandpaper to use for final hand sanding of projects before waterborne spray finish. breaking edges ect.

I am looking for a product that is not designed for a Festool sander. I want sheets that I can tear off and wrap around a piece of wood or put on a hand block sander.

Thanks

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Sandpaper Recommendations

I really like Abranet. Lasts well, easy to shake dust out of and when teamed up with an appropriate sanding block, you have dust free hand sanding.

KWH MIRKA Ltd - Net Sanding Range
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 PM

Abranet is good stuff, and like Chris said, can be used with their block that has dust collection capabilities. One thing about Abranet, it can tear easily if caught on a sharp corner.
For regular paper on a wood block, I like Sia paper and their sponge backed pads.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 PM

Ditto. Here in the US, I can get SIA abrasives through Webb, which is nice, because I like all of Webb's sponges, hand pads, woven pads, etc. I usually do an order maybe 1 time a year, but I stock up.
Okami, have you used that 2 faced block Sia makes? Its got a hard side and a soft side, and you can velcro the paper to both. Man I love that thing. I buy them 10 at a time. They would probably last almost forever just hand sanding, but I cut them into various rounds and curves for sanding on the lathe. The heat eventually starts to chew them up, but it's absolutely worth it.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. RWEBER do you order SIA for a particular place? Amazon?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:31 AM

Webb Abrasives | Clog Resistant Technology
Hit the contact us tab. Phone.
Interesting tidbit about Webb. They got their start somehow involved with the medical industry. I heard the story once, don't recall all the details, but it involved the strong desire to not leave foreign objects inside the patient. Something about what came out of that experience led to the bonding they use for holding the abrasive material on the sanding blocks.
Wish I recalled more.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 PM

These Siasoft sanding pads are excellent
They are very hard wearing, great for curves and edges

This Siarexx paper is nice also

Old 03-29-2012, 12:20 AM

Festool does offer the Granat paper in tear off squares on a roll for hand sanding. It has a thin foam backing. Looking at their web site I see it starting at 120 and going to 600.

Unfortunately it is sold in rolls of 208 sheets. Dealers are allowed to sell by the sheet for a price that they determine.

I have used some and really like it. Long lasting, even sanding.

Just a thought.

Peter
Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM

It would be nice if my local Festool dealer carried a larger selection of paper. I have never seen the pads, yep I would buy them if they had them!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:27 PM

I think a few dealers created assortments of the foam backed paper.

I know Tom B. at Tool-Home did (see here) because I pestered him until he did. $42 for an assortment of grits, $110 gets you a systainer to hold them (go back to page 1 of the results to see the systainer assortment).

Shane passed a few sheets to me at JLC 2011 and I fell in love right away. Just used some last night to break the bevel edge of a door. One swipe and done.

Yes, there are times I'd like something sticky to wrap around a block, but for the most part the soft sheets really are terrific.