talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 AM

Default Gum Turpentine

I don't know about you guy's and gal's, but I've had a hard time trying to find some good gum turpentine..seems to be getting rare these days..
I eventually found some, cost me about $60 for 4 litres one gallon is 3.8litres I think.
Mineral spirits costs about $10-15 a gallon, but gum turpentine is nicer stuff.
I also noticed pure tung oil is getting hard to find.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Gum Turpentine

Gum turpentine is available in my area at any of several local chain stores. Woodcraft sells it:

Buy Pure Gum Turpentine Qt at Woodcraft

$10.99 per quart. It has a very powerful aroma that reminds me of junior high school woodshop back in the day. When a visitor drops into my shop, if the fragrance is still in the air, they always exclaim "how good it smells in here". I use it to make a three part oil/turps/varnish blend.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticovogt View Post
Gum turpentine. I use it to make a three part oil/turps/varnish blend.
Snap!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:03 AM

I trust you guys are familiar with the hazards of pure gum turps? If not then a quick read is suggested.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:08 AM

I'm not, groggy..I always thought it would be less harmful than the cheaper mineral spirits, paint thinner? Let the cat out the bag then
Old 12-27-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
I trust you guys are familiar with the hazards of pure gum turps? If not then a quick read is suggested.
Could it be responsible for my drain bamage?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 AM

Here is hazard info -

Occupational Safety and Health Guideline for Turpentine

Scroll down to find health hazards.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 AM

Are those hazards exclusive to gum turpentine? I would have thought white spirits, mineral spirits or what ever you want to call it, would carry those same hazards.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:10 PM

My point is that it is not the same as normal turps and some awareness is needed. I know at least one manufacturer of WWing oils and waxes who has ceased using it as it can be absorbed through the skin.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:06 PM

That is very good information to share, thanks.

I would just as soon have no further dealings with solvents of any kind for the rest of my days. Over the course of many years I've developed such a sensitivity to Mineral Spirits that the smell or touch instantly causes a bad sensation in my stomach.

The back of my can of E-Z Gum Spirits of Turpentine has this warning:

VAPOR HARMFUL. MAY AFFECT THE BRAIN OR NERVOUS SYSTEM CAUSING DIZZINESS, HEADACHE, OR NAUSEA. CAUSES NOSE AND THROAT IRRITATION. MAY BE HARMFUL IF ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN.

Most of the time I'm using shellac. Sometimes Tried and True pure linseed oil with no lead additives. I'm looking forward to trying Stephen Shepherd's new line of oil and wax finishes: ilovewood.com.

For kitchens and bathrooms I make up the oil/turps/varnish mix that gives a very durable finish with good surface build. I don't spray and this is easy to apply by hand. Hopefully those jobs coincide with weather warm enough for me to have the window open and a fan pushing the fumes outdoors.

What a toxic web we weave.