talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 11:16 PM

Default Auto Air Colors

Anyone played with? I used a tiny bit a few years ago, and a thing came up where I thought of them again. I've spent the last 2 days spraying the stuff. I'm getting it figured out, but with only 2 days experience, don't quite feel like I can really say I have the finesse down.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Auto Air Colors

This your truck Randy?

Or this one!

So, what are you pointing the spray gun at anyway?

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 09-28-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:46 AM

Nice as those are, no. They're neither big enough, heavy enough, and they probably have spark plugs. Real trucks... don't.
But anyway, enough about my opinions.
Well, I know this is going to excite you to virtual tears, but mdf. That's what I'm pointing it at.
And here's the Paul Harvey:
One of the things I do is make patterns, and then cut out the shapes for my sister, who is a little crafty and makes, and sells, door art.
I have been bugging her for some time that the methodology she has for painting them could use improvement. Aerosol cans and paint brushes.
So my argument was get yourself a little spray gun, but wanting to give her water cleanup, I looked at these. They're relatively inexpensive, go a long way, have tons of colors and "specialty" colors - pearls, candys, sparklescent colors, all that. She could really do something new and different.
But of course, the substrate for all of this is mdf. And one of the things I figured out was that even though they should stick just fine to your typical oil based primer, they don't.
So I tried their base coat, which worked a ton better.
I really just was looking to compare notes early on. I finished up a couple of things tonight that look pretty good. I think with as thin as they go on, surface prep, and a real light (like 600 grit?) scuff between coats would go a long way.
Its fun stuff to play with, and I'm just doing solid colors at the moment. Definite opportunity to get my airbrush finger working again.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I was making some tetrahedrons with MDF and experimented with using shellac to make the edges stronger. There was more swelling than I expected and it took longer to dry than I expected but after a couple or three coats and thorough drying the edges can be sanded glass smooth and are harder than the surface.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post

... and they probably have spark plugs. Real trucks... don't.
Randy, how many times do I have to explain this to you? ...

(I'm really looking forward to finally getting to meet you out here )

Old 09-30-2011, 05:28 AM

John. My lug nuts require more torque than that thing makes.
Respectfully (and see you in about 10 hours)
RW
heh heh heh
Old 10-02-2011, 02:42 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

A Grex distributor had a booth at WIA -- they have a new line of compressors and really cool air brushes that I spent time playing with. Fascinating. The guy uses his on his large scale model trains (outdoor scale). It looks like a really fun addition to many hobbies.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 AM

Hey, for what it's worth, Thats Jerry Carter, aka Santa Claus. His logo says JCATS - Jerry Carter Air Tool Supply. Nice guy, super customer service. I got me one of those little grex rotary sanders, because I've wanted one for a couple of years, and he has accessories he had made for them nobody else has. So it will reach deep inside a vase (a place where no rotex will fit)
Old 10-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
Hey, for what it's worth, Thats Jerry Carter, aka Santa Claus. His logo says JCATS - Jerry Carter Air Tool Supply. Nice guy, super customer service. I got me one of those little grex rotary sanders, because I've wanted one for a couple of years, and he has accessories he had made for them nobody else has. So it will reach deep inside a vase (a place where no rotex will fit)

That's him! He told me some Santa stories. He told me enough train & Santa stories that I finally told him I would love to have him as a next door neighbor. He certainly knows his spray brushes also.