talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 07:43 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Spray Equipment: Air powered conventional/HVLP vs. Turbine HVLP vs. Airless vs. A

Well, if you keep this thing fed with wood maybe you do need a higher volume spray system

But, you need a bigger shop too...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Spray Equipment: Air powered conventional/HVLP vs. Turbine HVLP vs. Airless vs. A

Hi all. Just discovered this site and have spent the last week or two reading lots of the threads here, old and new, trying to learn things.
I absolutely hate painting with a brush but enjoy spray painting. The few things I have built I used an Apollo HVLP and Minwax (I know nothing about paint) and the finish has seemed OK. Not that I would know a bad finish from a good one but I didn't have any runs. Now, after reading this, I realize I have a Graco XR9 sitting in the back room. Can I use this to finish the base cabinet I am making? That never occurred to me. I thought those things were used for painting walls and fences. Would I need special tips or need to do anything else special? Thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSchuck View Post
Hi all. Just discovered this site and have spent the last week or two reading lots of the threads here, old and new, trying to learn things.
I absolutely hate painting with a brush but enjoy spray painting. The few things I have built I used an Apollo HVLP and Minwax (I know nothing about paint) and the finish has seemed OK. Not that I would know a bad finish from a good one but I didn't have any runs. Now, after reading this, I realize I have a Graco XR9 sitting in the back room. Can I use this to finish the base cabinet I am making? That never occurred to me. I thought those things were used for painting walls and fences. Would I need special tips or need to do anything else special? Thanks in advance.
While you wait for an answer here, also post your question over at FOG( Festool Owners Group) in the finishing section . With any luck, Scott B. will answer it easily for you as he tests all sorts of painting sprayers for magazine reviews in addition to painting and refinishing all sorts of things.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:45 PM

Air Assist Airless will give you a bit more production but slightly less finish quality. You will end up using a lot more coating to because you usually have 25 feet of lines to clear out. You typically will not want to leave the coating in the air assist airless because its not a sealed system. Its usually best only from a true production standpoint. Turbines major benefit is portability. Some of their challenges can be that cheaper ones will heat the coating at the air cap which can create challenges with certain coatings. If you want heres a good overview article covering air assist airless, HVLP, and turbine units!.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
I think the lacquer manufacturers suggest airless so they're responsible for fewer VOCs in the air (since you don't need to thin for airless).

For spraying instruments filling a 25 foot hose with lacquer seems crazy.

I'd go with a gravity fed HVLC since I don't like a lot of VOCs in the air either. Gravity fed since you don't need much volume per coat time for instruments and clean up is simpler.

For spraying clear coats I use HVLC (an old Apollo 3 stage turbine).

I'm currently researching airless sprayers for latex paint. I like the idea of air assisted airless as a combo unit but good ones cost $$$$. March of 2010 I got suckered into buying a cheap new combo unit that Milwaukee put out. It has a well speced DIY grade airless pump and a 2 stage turbine and a combo gun. Set it up to spray latex a couple days ago and it wouldn't prime. In the shop for warranty "repair" for an indefinite period of time.

That problem got me to look into the subject and found that for air assisted airless you need a pump with electronic pressure control (to minimize the on/off pressure differential) to minimize the spray pattern size change. In air assisted mode you have the pump pressure fairly low 700 to 1000 psi and with a lower end pump the deadband (on/off pressure differential) might be 500 psi so there can be a huge difference in pattern size and even atomization.

Now I'm looking for the lowest cost electronic pressure controlled airless pump to pair with my Apollo sprayer as an air assisted rig. Any ideas out there?

Another option which I'm leaning towards is to get another 3 stage turbine and run them parallel. With a 2mm or larger tip my current HVLC gun should be able to spray latex with little thinning.
Michael,
I've got a 4 stage Apollo and wound up buying their cheaper gun ($100?) for spraying latex only. Worked great. I only sprayed my shed (12x16) with it, but it worked great and I didn't have to thin the paint.

Mike
Old 05-05-2016, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
Michael,
I've got a 4 stage Apollo and wound up buying their cheaper gun ($100?) for spraying latex only. Worked great. I only sprayed my shed (12x16) with it, but it worked great and I didn't have to thin the paint.

Mike
Was that an Apollo gun? Can't find any guns of theirs under $200
Old 05-05-2016, 01:40 PM

Here you go Paul.

Apollo Sprayers International Inc. - World Leaders in HVLP Technology Development since 1966

If you don't have a dealer, you can try Altura Paints in Vista, CA. I've worked with them and they're great.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
Here you go Paul.

Apollo Sprayers International Inc. - World Leaders in HVLP Technology Development since 1966

If you don't have a dealer, you can try Altura Paints in Vista, CA. I've worked with them and they're great.
Thanks! Did you need a different needle or cap for the latex or was it good to go as is?
Old 05-06-2016, 01:38 PM

Good to go right from the box.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Thanks, good to know. I'd like a 'beater' gun for my Apollo and this looks like a great option.