talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Default "Brush Cleaner"

You know, I'd never tried the stuff. I think, in my head, if the name sounds homeowner-ish, I pretty much just stay away. And brush cleaner sounds too generic to be useful. But this morning I was in Blowes and walked by the can and thought you know, it has been a long, long time since I gave the airless (the one I use the most) a good cleaning. And the valve that diverts pressure from the primer tube to the gun is fickle. And in about a week, I'm going to be doing a good bit of spraying, and I'm going to care - a lot - about the end results. So I got some.
Good intuition. When I started filling the thing up, the valve was stuck enough you could move the lever but the fluid still kept pumping out of the primer tube. So I let it sit. Ten minutes later, run it a little. Let it sit. Repeat.
I'm a little amazed to say the stuff really worked like a charm. As good as MEK without the cancer. I think. It certainly smelled a lot better. After I flushed the pump out, cleaned the gun, the filter, got the whole valve sparkling down inside there, I ran all of the waste through a mesh filter just to see what all I got. About a quarter cup of solids stayed in the mesh. Amazing.
You can clean and clean on a regular basis, but that tiny bit of sediment that sticks between uses adds up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel
Default Re: "Brush Cleaner"

Definitely agree. I got some once to try it out and worked very well on some brushes that were in decent enough condition. I had an old brush with hardened varnish (I think) on it. Just the very very tip of the bristles could move a bit, so I kept it to clean out small grooves. I soaked it overnight in Brush Cleaner and it was literally like new. Whatever finish was on the brush had been there over a year.

Use in a ventilated location with wind cuz that smell can give you a headache in minutes (to me anyway).
Old 08-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Randy, thanks for the info!
When flushing the gun after spraying (some thinner in the cup and spray through method) I always wonder where people do this. Do You spray it into an extractor and filter, or something else?
Cheers!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 PM

Okami, here in Nebraska, we just dump it in the neighbor's yard.
But seriously, I have a waste bucket I usually put it in.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
Thanks for the tip, Randy!...They should give you a commission.
Or HAVE they?????.....