talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Kremlin Airmix and solvent based

I thinks Mirko picked the best system out there right now.

The mx pump systems by Binks was awarded the Challengers award at the IFW Atlanta.

We all ought to let Mirko be our lab assistants from now on.

Thanks Mirko! You got to be better at reporting your findings though.

Talk about pulling teeth.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:57 PM

Did I mention its made in Germany?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to tiralie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
Did I mention its made in Germany?
Sold me.
I am going to go check these out in person.
Now what gun Binks or Kremlin hmmm...
Tim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 AM

Eiji,

I hear you about water based finishes, and the lack of life they bring with them.
There's always a down side somewhere. If I had the space to make a closed off spay area, I'd move to solvent based finishes in a heart beat. WB are a pain in the arse
Do You plan to make some kind of vented enclosure for spraying? That's the one advantage of the WB finishes (that's the only one advantage I can find), don't really need a spray area.
I'm also in that same boat...switch to solvent and be done with it...or carry on with the water based malarky
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 AM

Okami,

Most solvent based finishes flash off pretty quickly so a dedicated spray area isnt a requirement any more than it would be with spraying a waterbased finish. The quality of finish will always be better with a dedicated spray booth with the necessary air filtration and exhaust system regardless of water or solvent base. Not all of us can afford(space and/or $) to put in a spray booth. Painters and cabinet shops halve been spraying solvents for a long time and many just clear an area and go for it. Obviously not the best situation but one can still get a good finish doing that.

The only difference I see in using solvent based vs water base finishes is that the solvent based finishes look better, feel better, are easier to spray but need the solvent for clean up. I've switched to a binks sv100 cup gun with disposable liners so clean up is a snap. I maybe use a 1/4 cup of solvent to clean out the gun. The gun is temporary and inexpensive until I can afford a Binks MX system. I think you can get one for 150.00 on amazon.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post
I thinks Mirko picked the best system out there right now.

The mx pump systems by Binks was awarded the Challengers award at the IFW Atlanta.

We all ought to let Mirko be our lab assistants from now on.

Thanks Mirko! You got to be better at reporting your findings though.

Talk about pulling teeth.

We sprayed the above with the Binks HVLP gravity feed, a finish like this is very difficult to do... its poly and no shit, it looks wet..
We're talking right out of the gun here peeps No polishing!

BTW, before you ask...its not our design but we built it (2 actually) and we use only the deadliest chemicals on our products... that WB crap is for wankers

Mirko
Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 AM

What about the lingering stink of solvents? That's why I would want some kind of enclosed area, with air flow. If I sprayed in my open workshop, I wouldn't be able to work in there for at least a day. This is whats holding back.
How do You go about the smell Eiji?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
we use only the deadliest chemicals on our products... that WB crap is for wankersMirko
Old 10-01-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
What about the lingering stink of solvents? That's why I would want some kind of enclosed area, with air flow. If I sprayed in my open workshop, I wouldn't be able to work in there for at least a day. This is whats holding back.
How do You go about the smell Eiji?
deodorant
Old 10-01-2010, 08:21 AM

Eiji, don't forget to wrap a sock around your face when You're spraying those solvents, or You'll end up like Mirko