talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 07:48 PM

Default Finishing Purple Heart?

Hi,

I have some nice purple heart that is really true purple, just like the Crayola crayon purple as opposed to a redish brown purple.

I would like to keep it looking as near to its unfinished color as possible. I have tried some lacquer and some oil base poly. Both give it a much darker red/purple appearance.

Any suggestions?

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 08-27-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Inactive Member

Default Re: Finishing Purple Heart?

Seth,
15 years ago I had a customer that wanted her kitchen cabinets to look like unfinished oak. As I am sure you know, as soon as you put any finish on the wood, it will look wet. I think this is the same thing you are trying to accomplish, correct?

To accomplish this look, I used a very dense white pickling stain, but the main aspect was using a water white sanding sealer and topcoat. You may be able to find a similar combination that works for the purple heart.

This same customer wanted another part of her house made from purple heart, but unfortunately, I cannot find the sample of it anymore (I did find her other samples though). What I wanted to look at is what happens to the color of purple heart over time. Fresh purple heart is very purple, but I believe aged purple heart will turn brown or gray.

The picture below is one I took a few weeks ago for another purpose, but it is from an unused refrigerator panel for this woman's kitchen. I scraped the finish off, and if you look close, you can see the minor difference between the unfinished oak and the "dry-look" finish I applied 15 years ago. The white lines are the transitions from scraped to unscraped. As you can see, it is hard to distinguish between finished (outsides) and raw oak (middle).

Oh, ignore the pencil line. That is pointing to my glue line for this panel.

Attached Thumbnails
finishing-purple-heart-waterwhite.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 PM

Yes getting rid of the wet look is a good way to describe it.

So a sanding sealer might kill some of the wet look?
And I am thinking less gloss would help too?

"water white" ?

Also- sure , sure ignore the pencil line at the glue joint... show off

Seth
Old 08-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post
Yes getting rid of the wet look is a good way to describe it.

So a sanding sealer might kill some of the wet look?
And I am thinking less gloss would help too?

"water white" ?
No, you keyed in on the wrong term. It is not the sanding sealer, but the "water white" that is of importance. It is a different type of lacquer that is non-yellowing. On the back of the panel (that is normally hidden) I used a standard lacquer sanding sealer, and the difference is huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post
Also- sure , sure ignore the pencil line at the glue joint... show off
Sorry, that wasn't intentional. The absence of a visible glue line was the original purpose of the picture. I can't remember what WW forum I took the picture for, but remembered it was taken from this oak panel that your question reminded me about. The reason why I used this old panel for the glue line picture is because I wanted a real-life production panel from back in my production days when I turned out 40 panels per hour without glue lines. I didn't want someone to claim it was a special case.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:51 AM

This link seems to have a very good explaination of the water white lacquers Water white lacquers

Seth
Old 08-28-2010, 04:26 AM

Seth, We have a client with a teak dinner table that wanted sealed to prevent stains. I applied Dead Flat Sealer, it's use for murals. Three coats and NO WET LOOK.
Good luck
Rick
Old 09-05-2010, 06:11 AM

I dont think the sheen of the top coat will have any effect on its alteration of the wood's color once the finish is applied.

IME solvent based water white/clear finishes still alter the color of the wood. I would try a water clear waterborne with uv-inhibitors as sunlight will turn that purple into maroon within a few weeks. Ive heard this predicament before and I really dont think you can stop the purple from changing over time. It would be cool but it would be like trying to keep padouk red. not going to happen.

Rick,

You must have used the bowclamps on that glue up. Nice job

Last edited by EijiFuller; 09-05-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Inactive Member

Actually, since it was a small panel, I used just a half bow clamp. :stongue:

Nice to see you back Eiji.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Eiji!

Missed you
Old 09-05-2010, 08:32 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Me too! :p