talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 PM

Default OA & black stains

So its old hat that Oxalic acid removes black iron stains from wood. But have you ever tried to find the stuff at the store? Not always the easiest. Had some luck in the past with pharmacies, but not this go around.
So, if you want it in short order, find something with OA in it. First guess is deck cleaners. Looked at several. Nope. Struck out. They were all using a different acid.
Ahhh... Barkeepers Secret or Friend or whatever, the powdered cleaning stuff. That has OA in it.
Mix with water to form a paste, let sit 5 minutes, voila.
I was tickled. I had mysterious black dots show up in a piece I had veneered with myrtle. Weren't there going in to the bag, but they were there coming out. The paste destroyed them, and left no other signs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:06 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: OA & black stains

Thanks Randy!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 PM

Try a real Paint store. not a big box store, a paint store where they know what rotten stone, rubbing varnish and things like wood filler are.
Stuff we used when old George W. ask me to repaint his house. Dem ver the days ven we mixed our own.
The old master painter
Bob
Old 07-06-2010, 07:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Dang...

Some brilliant woodworker FINALLY has a question to which yours truly (being a complete noob) actually knows the answer (Barkeeper's Friend!!!)-- YAY!!!

and...

He figures it out for himself in advance.

However, looking on the bright side (always the Pollyanna), I do have one bit of bonus information, FWIW:
Do NOT use Barkeeper's Friend to take stains off your boat's fiberglass hull, or...
You will find yourself wetsanding (and then compounding, polishing, etc....) said hull to get rid of the ugly scratches.
Pleez.... DAMHIKT (but at least it was BEFORE I did all that work last year).

Oh, wait!!!

I DO have one more piece of useful information:

The product FSR (stands for "Fiberglass Stain Remover") is an Oxalic Acid gel...
but it's not abrasive like Barkeeper's Fiend (typo intentional).
FSR is available from West Marine or any other marine supply store.
I also think there's a similar product... called "Y-10" maybe.

One last thing (because I'm thorough):
If you do go shopping for marine stain removal products with oxalic acid for woodworking,
stay far away from Marykate's "On & Off" - which is mostly HYDROCHLORIC acid....
Unless, of course, you want that.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 PM

Disclaimer: this could end up being absolutely nothing, but

The pharmacy where I used to buy it now does not carry it and the cranky gal I spoke to has "worked there 19 years and would know if we ever had it", swearing they never did.
So I've been asking around, whenever I'm near something that looks like a pharmacy. And lo and behold, helpful gal I found was, in of all places, Target.
Who did not carry it, but was interested enough because of the unusual nature of the product and its use, that she was going to try to get it.
She stated that, looking at her computer, Target could get it, but as far as she could tell, no Target ever had. It may take awhile for the SKU info to get processed by "them", after which, getting it again from any Target ought only take a few days.
We shall see, but could be that in the future, for all of 9 bucks a quart jug, you can order from Target. Who'd have thought?