talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Finishing (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/finishing/)
-   -   HVLP Turbine (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/finishing/3521-hvlp-turbine.html)

Okami 04-28-2010 04:34 AM

HVLP Turbine

Hello:)

I just picked up a 4 stage Turbine with all the bits (hose, and two guns).
Guess I'm about to venture into spraying:thumbsup2:

I want to use waterborne products, maybe a Conversion Varnish:)

Cheers!
Okami

DanClark 04-28-2010 04:40 AM

Re: HVLP Turbine

Okami,

Which brand did you get?

Dan.

Okami 04-28-2010 04:43 AM

Hi Dan, it's what was offered to me:D so I didn't really choose.

It's a Capspray Turbine. The guns are also Capspray.
Any good?
Cheers!
Okami

DanClark 04-28-2010 04:56 AM

I haven't any feedback on them. I think that Eiji has a Capspray, but I'm not sure. Maybe he'll comment.

Dan.

Okami 04-28-2010 05:06 AM

Thanks Dan!

The guns seem to be the Capspray MaxumII version. They have #3 tips fitted

Cheers!
Okami

EijiFuller 04-28-2010 08:24 AM

I dont really like the turbines and capspray doesnt have the greatest rep for gun quality. The capspray turbine and guns are designed to shoot solvent based so you are not going to be able to get the best atomization of a waterbased finish. Anyway good luck. Youre going to have fun! :thumbsup2:

If I were to do it all over I would have picked up an airless and the gun i currently use (Asturo WB) for small stuff.

Okami 04-28-2010 12:35 PM

Hi Eiji:)

Sounds like I've made a poor start in the realm of spraying waterbourne finishes:D

I'll have a try anyway;)
Thanks for the info:thumbsup2:
Okami

MichaelKellough 04-28-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EijiFuller (Post 51622)
I dont really like the turbines and capspray doesnt have the greatest rep for gun quality. The capspray turbine and guns are designed to shoot solvent based so you are not going to be able to get the best atomization of a waterbased finish. Anyway good luck. Youre going to have fun! :thumbsup2:

If I were to do it all over I would have picked up an airless and the gun i currently use (Asturo WB) for small stuff.

Is that a workable combination?

What all can you use with airless? I thought (what do I know?) that airless was only for latex etc?

monstrol 04-29-2010 12:22 AM

Okami...I have the capspray system and have had good luck with both solvent based and waterbased conversion systems. I just sprayed some Mohawk waterbourne, 80 sheen gloss that I then wet sanded and polished with the Rotex and it came out fine. I used the #3 tip and it was pushing it a bit. The satin I didn't rub out and there were some pinholes that concerned me while the finish was wet but were not noticeable after it dried. If I was to do a lot with the capspray and a waterbased clear system conversion or otherwise I would get a #4 tip. I have the #5 tip and I use that for spraying water-based enamels that looks like heck after I spray but with a splash of Floetrol it levels out fine. The Floetrol is for water based enamel only. You will need to tweak things to get a look comparable to a conventional gun. The Mohawk conversion really dried clear and I did some samples next to the solvent based conversion over some dark stained poplar mimicing dark stained mahogany and was impressed. You need to let it temper a bit after you mix the catalyst. It doesn't have the solvent resistance like the solvent based but it is better than conventional water systems. IMHO. I would get the cleaning tools and order extra gaskets, packing, etc., and break down and clean the guns often. You can adjust the airflow and fluid flow so I recommend spending some time seeing what works best. It is nice not dealing with a compressor or wasting material cleaning out an airless hose. I hope this helps.
Matt

Okami 04-29-2010 01:16 AM

Thanks Matt, some good infomation there:thumbsup2:

The Turbine seems to be the 9100 model, with 4 stages and 8.5 PSI.
It runs very quitely, I was expecting it to be much louder.
I think I'll look into a #4 tip set for it, thanks for the advise!
So Waterborne finishes (conversion Varnish) are quite heavy I'm guessing?
I'm hoping I can lay down waterborne finishes as I don't think I have the space to spray solvent based safely.

Matt, did You use the MaxumII gun with Your Capspray Turbine?
Cheers!
Okami