talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 03:53 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: HVLP Turbine

I'm no spraying guru but it sounds like the air/material ration is off. Too much material. I can't explain why that would be if the settings are the same...

On a side note moan... I'd made arrangements to pick up a used Graco FinishPro 395 air assisted airless sprayer on Tuesday and I get home from WIA to find out the guy sold it to someone else on Sunday.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

IMHO, If all obvious variables are the same then the way you sprayed could be a factor, the humidity and temp. may be a factor, how old the product is, is there something unique about the surface that your not aware of, was the prep. done the same way? I have noticed the temp. of the air coming out of the turbine might be warmer than other times especially if I have been spraying a lot. Was there any contamination to the product prior to spraying? Sometimes batches of product will vary. Was the finish lifting or just a noticeable definition between strokes?
Matt
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the reply!
It could be the way I sprayed, or maybe the surface was too hot.. The top was pretty warm, some sun rays had been hitting it earlier?
It's only noticable at a low angle when the light hits it, kind of stripes, like freshly cut grass laying in opposite directions
Old 10-06-2011, 05:49 PM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

That would be my guess. IMHO, I believe I heard somewhere that newer finishes are formulated to dry quickly to prevent offgasing and lower their v.o.c. footprint, I could have made that up or dreamed it. So an increase in temp. would hasten the drying process. I am interested in hearing what others might have to say as well.
Matt
Old 10-15-2011, 05:53 PM

Just to quickly update... after sanding the sealer, and laying down the top coat, the lines didn't return. I made sure no sun rays had warmed the top this time.
I guess You were right Monstrol, the surface could have been too hot causing it to dry instantly.
Thanks for the help again!
Okami
Old 10-15-2011, 08:50 PM

Your welcome. I'm glad the lines didn't return. Just when you think you
have finishing down there will be a seemingly innocuous variable come up and bite you.

Matt