talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Am I using the wrong paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

Well, thanks...I think.
Michael, I'm left-handed, and that's one of my compliments.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:16 PM

Well, enter the myth and mystery of finishing. In science, something is a fact if it can be proven over and over. Finishing doesn't do that. Just like construction. There are times it shouldnt be that way and is.
Poly, in my experience, should fail over the waxed shellac. And maybe it will, given time.
Those are exactly the results that lead down the road of "best practice", i.e. least probability of headache. Keeping track of all the possible combinations of finishes and what will and won't work, that's one way. Just saying "I think I'll only used dewaxed from here on out", that one I can remember.
Years ago, I used to keep a notebook in the shop specifically for recording the various alchemy experiments that were my finishing attempts at the time. It got to the point where I just said you know what, I need to dumb this down, because I can't even follow it.

But the shellac on the piano lid a couple of weeks ago, should have stuck and solved problems. It didn't. I don't know what was in there. Ten years ago, I'd have probably tried everything I could concoct to find out. Now, I'm just resigned to the idea that no matter the culprit, the end result is the same. So sand, and get on with it. And that worked.
Which reminds me. I gotta go find the camera again. I need to get some of that lid, and the lathe too while I'm at it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

"I gotta go find the camera again. I need to get some of that lid, and the lathe too while I'm at it."

And keep on posting too....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:48 PM

You can dewax shellac by filling a clear jar with shellac and letting it stand for a few weeks until the wax settles to the bottom. Than decant it.
The old geezer.
Bob
Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSwenson View Post
You can dewax shellac by filling a clear jar with shellac and letting it stand for a few weeks until the wax settles to the bottom. Than decant it.
The old geezer.
Bob
So....if you buy a can of regular Zinser shellac just don't stir and it'll be de-waxed?