talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 02:59 PM

Default Water-Borne Stain

I am thinking about switching to waterborne stain, I was wondering if anyone has used it before.

I am also interested in what brands you are using.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Water-Borne Stain

Tried it...didn't like it. Really raised the grain significantly, making sanding the seal coat down a real bear of a job. Enough that I don't want to have to do it again. Just my experience.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:12 PM

I've used Targets stains and they go down great. However, they dry really quickly (the nature of the product) so I find them difficult to work with on large areas. If you working with darker colors the blending can be somewhat of a challenge.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 PM

Liking Transtint liquid so well I've tried the dry. Not as big of a fan. Though the liquid you can use with water; I prefer alcohol.
But, and this is a significant but: w.d. lockwood (google it) has been making dye powders since forever, and I've tried some of those, and man. That is just a complete eureka moment in finishing. Their black is the most uniform, consistent, easy black I've ever used. One wipe on poplar and it's ebony. Their cherry instantly unifies heart and sap wood. Great stuff. Only like a couple of hundred blends to choose from, and you can mix & match.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
Liking Transtint liquid so well I've tried the dry. Not as big of a fan. Though the liquid you can use with water; I prefer alcohol.
But, and this is a significant but: w.d. lockwood (google it) has been making dye powders since forever, and I've tried some of those, and man. That is just a complete eureka moment in finishing. Their black is the most uniform, consistent, easy black I've ever used. One wipe on poplar and it's ebony. Their cherry instantly unifies heart and sap wood. Great stuff. Only like a couple of hundred blends to choose from, and you can mix & match.
Second that.

Since working with dyes I don't even like oil based stains anymore.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Second that.

Since working with dyes I don't even like oil based stains anymore.

I guess I may have gotten ahead of myself. I am current working with some hard maple, I put a natural oil based stain on, I was thinking of switching to a water borne stain. I looked at that dye, and didn't really see a "natural" equivelent.

So I am going to change my question

If I don't plan on changing the color of the wood ( using Natual stain) is there a different process I should consider? I am assuming that the natual is just making the grain pop a little and sealing the wood.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRANGER View Post
I guess I may have gotten ahead of myself. I am current working with some hard maple, I put a natural oil based stain on, I was thinking of switching to a water borne stain. I looked at that dye, and didn't really see a "natural" equivelent.

If I don't plan on changing the color of the wood ( using Natual stain) is there a different process I should consider? I am assuming that the natural is just making the grain pop a little and sealing the wood.
Sounds like you're talking about the Minwax stains and you aren't really interested in staining the wood, just getting a nice finish. In that case I'd suggest you just move on to Wipe-on-Poly unless you're good at brushing on finishes. Wipe-on gives very good results and is very easy to use just be sure to fine sand the existing sealer and get all the dust off with a tack cloth first. Put on a few coats of the Wipe-on and then knock off the fuzz again and apply one or two more coats.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRANGER View Post

If I don't plan on changing the color of the wood ( using Natual stain) is there a different process I should consider? I am assuming that the natual is just making the grain pop a little and sealing the wood.

IMO maple grain and figure pops very well with no stain and a good water based top coat.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post
IMO maple grain and figure pops very well with no stain and a good water based top coat.

Is that what you do with yours, I have seen the pictures of you stuff and it is sweet.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:08 AM

Ranger,

yes that is what I have been doing with my maple. Just shoot it with the waterborne and it looks great. Especially with curly soft maple because of its white sapwood. Now if you have some heartwood and or you want to add some amber I like to wipe on a coat of waterlox and then spray it the next day.

I think the curly hard maple looks good with just the waterborne too