talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 12:16 AM

Default Waterborne

Someone I know who writes alot of tutorials on the benefits of different products really billed a certain waterbased finish products company to be the bee's knees. I trusted this writer/craftsmen and started using the finishes.

I was not really able to get satisfactory results using any but one of their products. And even that product emparted a lifeless finish. All the other finishes I used of their line was both difficult to spray and didnt dry very fast. They would pill up the sandpaper even after hours of drying. I have to say that the certain fellow I refer to has lost my trust.

Now the happy ending.

I picked up some Valspar Zenith pre-cat laquer and gave it a go. This stuff is awesome. It sprays like a dream, dries superfast, and powders up nicely after 20 mins. It also has a really nice warmth almost like a solvent based finish. And you can spray it over an oil based stain with out having to spray shellac first.

I have to say I have been bummed about getting into spraying so far but now I am happy. I didnt know it could be so easy to get a good finish.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Waterborne

Thanks for the words of experience, Eiji. I'd love to see a piece finished with the Valspar.

(And I'm guessing you're talking about Target coatings above?)
Old 09-26-2009, 03:10 AM

They are a different learning curve, and the results are widely varied, in my experience.
Thus far, I thought Fuhr gave the most "oil-like" appearance on raw wood. Sherwins Kem Aqua has a good appearance, but its real asset is durability. The appearance can be tweaked with a touch of dye.
General Finishes Hi Performance line, I actually kind of like. On raw, even on stained wood its frigid, but if you're willing to just do a wash coat of shellac, then you get the look you want and a very respectable looking topcoat.

BTW Eiji, I just bought a Thomas compressor. Largely after hearing about it here, from you. I'll let you know what I think after the box shows up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:15 AM
Founding Member

Eiji,

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to buy an HVLP system within the next two months and need info like this.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post

BTW Eiji, I just bought a Thomas compressor. Largely after hearing about it here, from you. I'll let you know what I think after the box shows up.
Randy,

I have two of their compressors. They are great. Which one did you buy?

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:39 AM

I use Valspar... fortunately I was able to spray it over the Target Coatings and it saved the job... never again.. I thought the stuff was so good, so I bought a 5 gallon pail of it... I would burn the shit if it could catch fire.

And before anyone comes on here and tells me I need more time with the product... explain why every other brand I tried sprays perfectly right out of the bucket.

Love Mirko.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:20 AM

That guy's a piece of work I tell you. pun intended!

Next tutorial on the list is "The new festool sanding blocks are the best!"

Never a bad or critical word about anything produced by the companies he's writing about. he must get a commission or something.

The sandpaper- the best! no faults, no mention of the rubin getting dull after 5 minutes of sanding but hey, it was all good while it lasted!

the parrallel guides are great- what the heck kind of review/tutorial title is that anyway? Yes the guides are nice but come on dude! The cantilevered cutting example was just wierd.

New sheriff in town?

Last edited by EijiFuller; 09-26-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-26-2009, 09:28 AM

Mirko you are right about other products spraying good right out of the can. I tried the Deft Geo self-link and it shot great but continued to pill up the sandpaper after drying overnight. Yikes, that was a one timer. I had to try it though after all the crap I have been through using the Target. The Valspar is really nice though.

I may have a project coming up that will call for the Valspar conversion varnish. I will report back if I get it.

Last edited by EijiFuller; 09-26-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:47 AM

I do not get this...

Companies give free products to guys that rave about the products.. Ha, go figure!

Where is the proof a product is good these days...

Maybe our former Prime Minister knows
Old 09-26-2009, 09:52 AM

too funny