talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Waterborne

I tried to find Valspar here in Japan, but had no luck. I even tried to find somewhere in the US that ships internationally, no luck there either
Waterborne finishes are way, way behind here
Do You have a spray set-up Ron?
Cheers!
Okami:tigersmile:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post
Eiji,
I'm buying my gun now.
Thanks
Dan.
Hi Dan, did You get the gun?
Cheers!
OKami
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
I'd like to try the Valspar pre-cat lacquer but I can't find it locally -- does anyone know of a good place to get it on the internet?
Ron,

Hi. Locally, we have Parker Paints and a few others that carry Valspar. That's the good news. However, when I called a local Parker Paint store, I found that they knew virtually nothing about the products. It took about 5 minutes for the fellow to find the right catalog page. Then he mumbled for a few seconds and said, "Don't know much about these. Hmmm... What does "pre-catalized" mean?" I decided to look elsewhere.

I looked for an online retailer but couldn't find one anywhere. I not sure, but I suspect that lacquers may be categorized as a hazardous chemical and therefore can't be shipped through normal carriers. I hope I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Hi Dan, did You get the gun?
Cheers!
OKami
Okami san,

I got my gun, PPS and all the other parts. All of the parts came in as ordered and the quality looks very good. Unfortunately, all the parts are sitting in a box in the garage unused. Between my job, master bath remodel, and forum work, I've had no time to set it up and use it. And then there's the small problem of obtaining finishing material (see above). Hopefully I can try it sometime in the next month.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Okami, I have a ~40 year old Deviilbis siphon gun -- no new one yet. I would like to get either the same one as Dan & Eiiji or the fuji Q4 system.

Dan, It just goes to show that living in LA isn't ALL negative . I really do believe that you can buy anything and everything there (as with most large cities).
The waterborne Valspar probably doesn't show up on the hazardous radar scope as high as hair spray which is flammable.
I couldn't pull up the valspar waterborne MSDS sheet but their webpage says:
"Regulatory
HAPS-free/Low VOC
Low Odor
Non-Flammable
Water Clean-up
Formaldehyde-free/Isocyanate-free"

I wonder what a good second choice would be???
Old 05-04-2010, 07:40 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Okami, I have a ~40 year old Deviilbis siphon gun -- no new one yet. I would like to get either the same one as Dan & Eiiji or the fuji Q4 system.

Dan, It just goes to show that living in LA isn't ALL negative . I really do believe that you can buy anything and everything there (as with most large cities).
The waterborne Valspar probably doesn't show up on the hazardous radar scope as high as hair spray which is flammable.
I couldn't pull up the valspar waterborne MSDS sheet but their webpage says:
"Regulatory
HAPS-free/Low VOC
Low Odor
Non-Flammable
Water Clean-up
Formaldehyde-free/Isocyanate-free"

I wonder what a good second choice would be???

FREE!

Seriously though, looks like the search should be for VALTEC Pre-catalyzed Self-Seal Water White Lacquer

There are a lot of dealers in California, of them Dunn-Edwards seems to be the predominate.

Good luck!

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 05-04-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:41 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Eiji, Dan, Okamisan, Others,
Does anyone have any new insight on experiences with spray gun equipment and finishes since we last went around the table (pun intended) on this thread??? I still haven't bought an outfit but I continue to gather information.
Okami, How do you like your system by now?
Dan, same question?
Eiji???

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:

... Does anyone have any new insight on experiences with spray gun equipment and finishes since we last went around the table (pun intended) on this thread??? I still haven't bought an outfit but I continue to gather information.
Ron, I recently bought a Graco HVLP setup. It's the FinishPro 9.5 five stage with the optional attached compressor and remote pot. I also got a Breath-Cool respirator system (video below). I haven't used either one yet, but I will be soon as I am starting production on my KMG style belt grinder. I'll post about my experiences.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:00 PM

With the dozens (hundreds?) of facilities around LA that do first class powder coating I'm somewhat surprised that you would choose to spray paint your grinder. They can apply an extremely durable, beautiful powder coat finish in any color of your choice. Andrews Powder Coating. Custom and Semi-Production Powder Coating.
Your grinder's finish will take a beating.

Keep me posted how you like your spray system.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:

With the dozens (hundreds?) of facilities around LA that do first class powder coating I'm somewhat surprised that you would choose to spray paint your grinder.
Ron, now that I have the equipment, I thought it would be fun to give spraying it myself a try. And, from what I've found out, Sherwin-Williams has some pretty rugged equipment paint.

However, since you posted a link to a powder coater only a few blocks from my shop (how'd you do that?), there's no harm in going over there to talk to them. I'm working on the cut patterns right now, it shouldn't be long before I get out the hacksaw.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 PM

Ron,
With an increase of finishing work I just purchased one of these to replace my old set up look here. I have not had chance to use it yet.