talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Waterborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post
Mirko you are right about other products spraying good right out of the can. I tried the Deft Geo self-link and it shot great but continued to pill up the sandpaper after drying overnight. Yikes, that was a one timer. I had to try it though after all the crap I have been through using the Target. The Valspar is really nice though.

I may have a project coming up that will call for the Valspar conversion varnish. I will report back if I get it.
Hey buddy,

Long time no talk.. Hey, your site looks bitch'n well done mate!

I've yet to try the conversion varnish... skeptical as always!

Mirko
Old 09-26-2009, 09:09 AM

You are the one who stop messaging.

JK

Thanks for the props on the site. I have to say though, that site is not the best for navigation but works for now.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:01 PM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Hey Eiji,
What HVLP gun did you finally decide on getting? How do you like it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Founding Member

Eiji,

A second to Ron's question. HVLP enquiring minds want to know.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:17 PM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

A while back Eiji had decided on getting a Asturo 5008WB gun. I haven't heard if he got it or how he likes it.

Asturo Low Air Spray Gun
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-26-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:

The sandpaper- the best! no faults, no mention of the rubin getting dull after 5 minutes of sanding but hey, it was all good while it lasted
The Rubin goes dull after a minute.. If you sand a 2' x 2' panel it makes it half way.. then a 120 grit pad becomes more like a 180 grit, after the break in period they do last for ever though
Old 09-26-2009, 09:50 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
The Rubin goes dull after a minute.. If you sand a 2' x 2' panel it makes it half way.. then a 120 grit pad becomes more like a 180 grit, after the break in period they do last for ever though
So, if the thing is a 120 for a minute and 180 for an hour, what do you call it? 179?
Old 09-27-2009, 01:11 AM

I have to be the voice of dissent here guys.... but I've had great luck with Target Coatings. Given, when I want life under it I know I need to use an oil and a shellac... that's a bit of a pain but for me I prefer it to having to use harsh solvents, etc. The finishes I get on my drums are glass smooth and very durable. (Took me 3 sanding discs to sand one off after I burned through the topcoat with my high speed buffer)

If anyone has a 5 gallon bucket of Emech 9300 feel free to send it my way...

I recently tried Crystalac just to give it a go... Unlike Target it feels to me like it has a hint of the bluish tinge that older water borne clears were known for. I'm so used to the Target water clear finishes that its driving me nuts. I'm hoping it'll clear up a bit when it cures but it may have been my fault for spraying heavy coats.

That being said... The Target stuff takes a long time to dry. It's probably not practical at all for production level cabinetry, etc because of that. In my world of custom drums I am lucky to have people patient enough to wait as long as the end result is worth it. Attached photo is the walnut shell I posted a while back but now all buffed out.
Attached Thumbnails
waterborne-walnutbuffed.jpg  
Old 09-27-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Hey Eiji,
What HVLP gun did you finally decide on getting? How do you like it?
I got the Asturo 6008WB pressure feed gun, with 2 quart pressure pot. I love it. Amazing gun and so manuverable compared to the fuji. It lays down a much nicer finish too. I run it off the Thomas T2820 2hp compressor but I think the T200 would easily feed this gun with enough air. I set the compressor to 60 psi at the filter ( a small water seperator) and run a 3/8" x 25' hose to the pressure pot. Pot is set at 5psi and I have a mini regulator at the gun that I set to 20 - 30 depending on the finish.
I got the mini regulator for 30.00 from binks was a piece of #$^$ and had to return it. What a hassle. My only option was to go to harbor freight and pick one up for 6.99 and it works like a champ. Go figure
Old 09-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
I got the Asturo 6008WB pressure feed gun, with 2 quart pressure pot. I love it. Amazing gun and so manuverable compared to the fuji. It lays down a much nicer finish too. I run it off the Thomas T2820 2hp compressor but I think the T200 would easily feed this gun with enough air. I set the compressor to 60 psi at the filter ( a small water seperator) and run a 3/8" x 25' hose to the pressure pot. Pot is set at 5psi and I have a mini regulator at the gun that I set to 20 - 30 depending on the finish.
I got the mini regulator for 30.00 from binks was a piece of #$^$ and had to return it. What a hassle. My only option was to go to harbor freight and pick one up for 6.99 and it works like a champ. Go figure
Eiji,

Is that a typo? I could find a 5008WB, but not a 6008WB.

I'd love to be able to use this gun, but I'm not sure if my compressor would handle it. It requires 6 CFM. I think the T200 maxes out at somewhere between 6.5 and 8 CFM, but I'm not sure at what pressure. I think the biggest difference between the T200ST and the T2820ST is that they recovery time of the T2820ST is MUCH faster.

On another forum, a fellow recommended ganging two compressors together to maintain flow. I've also read that some people get another, larger tank that they use with their smaller compressors. I'm not sure how to configure either of these options and whether it's reasonable hook my little T635-HT with the much larger T200ST.

I need to work on this angle.

Thanks,

Dan.