talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Some oil finish info

John - you sound like the Wikipedia or something. Very eloquent and knowledgeable. Thanks for the info!

Somewhat contrary to what's said in Michael's link.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:51 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
John - you sound like the Wikipedia or something. Very eloquent and knowledgeable. Thanks for the info!

That guy Russ is not high on mineral oil but it is refreshing to read his unvarnished (pun intended :p ) opinion about this stuff. There is more here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Of course, nothing gets by you, Peter, that's a copy and paste from Wikipedia. I forgot to add the credit. Can I still take the compliment?

I think the big difference is that in Michael's link it says mineral oil is nothing more than highly refined motor oil, but it's actually a byproduct of the refining process. The content is somewhat different than motor oil.

It's in Vaseline, baby oil, and used as a laxative. So, we've been drinking it and smearing it all over ourselves for a very long time. A little on a cutting board or in a salad bowl sure isn't going to make much difference.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

That guy Russ is not high on mineral oil but it is refreshing to read his unvarnished (pun intended :p ) opinion about this stuff.
I think Russ is just an opinionated old fart. I hate that type!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Of course, nothing gets by you, Peter, that's a copy and paste from Wikipedia. I forgot to add the credit. Can I still take the compliment?

I think the big difference is that in Michael's link it says mineral oil is nothing more than highly refined motor oil, but it's actually a byproduct of the refining process. The content is somewhat different than motor oil.

It's in Vaseline, baby oil, and used as a laxative. So, we've been drinking it and smearing it all over ourselves for a very long time. A little on a cutting board or in a salad bowl sure isn't going to make much difference.
Agree. It's a good choice if you don't feel the need to seal the wood. If you do I would use pure Tung oil and let it sit for a long while. If the petroleum by-product association with mineral oil is distasteful you might then move to walnut oil but you still aren't sealing the wood and there is the possibility it could get rancid.

Since you don't want to use mineral spirits to thin these oils for deeper absorption you can warm the oils in a double boiler or something (I wonder about a microwave?) and they'll go deeper into the wood.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I think Russ is just an opinionated old fart. I hate that type!
Good thing you don't have opinions about old farts!

P.S. Yes - you can still take the compliments.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:42 PM

I've had good luck mixing some beeswax with the mineral oil and slathering the whole board with the mixture. I do this as a "final coat" after I've put several coats of mineral oil on the board. Heat the mineral oil in a double boiler to help the wax melt.

Then when everything dries, use a clean lamb's wool pad on your rotex to buff it up! (and save the pad for next time) -- or do it the hard way with an old towel

Jay
Old 09-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKnoll View Post
I've had good luck mixing some beeswax with the mineral oil and slathering the whole board with the mixture. I do this as a "final coat" after I've put several coats of mineral oil on the board. Heat the mineral oil in a double boiler to help the wax melt.

Then when everything dries, use a clean lamb's wool pad on your rotex to buff it up! (and save the pad for next time) -- or do it the hard way with an old towel

Jay
Well there you go! Now it's sealed.