talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 03:54 PM

Default outdoor poly

Hiya folks,

I've never finished anything that will be stored outdoors. I'm putting together a tiered rack for the wife (it will hold plants and thus get "watered"). I was planning on using this miniwax water-based poly.
Water Based Helmsman Spar Urethane - Water-Based Clear Protective Finishes

I don't have a spray set up. Anyone had a good experience with this product applied using a brush? Alternatives? Should I be prestaining the wood with a conditioner?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:06 AM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.
Default Re: outdoor poly

I have used that product a few years ago with success meaning I haven't been called back to fix it. You should experiment with the wood conditioner first on a sample piece. Also I would use a water based conditioner as well. Minwax makes one but I don't know if it is appropriate for exterior applications. Theoretically you could thin out the spar and use it as a conditioner.
Matthew Jones
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:18 AM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

Another suggestion came to mind. I have been doing a lot of restoration work on my home and I had a chance to host John Leek who is the window restoration guy and he recomended a product called Bora Care to put on exterior bare or stripped wood before paint. It prevents wood rot. I would think that might be another preventative step before conditioning,staining and finishing this project. Just my 2 cents.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:22 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrol View Post
Another suggestion came to mind. I have been doing a lot of restoration work on my home and I had a chance to host John Leek who is the window restoration guy and he recomended a product called Bora Care to put on exterior bare or stripped wood before paint. It prevents wood rot. I would think that might be another preventative step before conditioning,staining and finishing this project. Just my 2 cents.
Bora Care is an insectacide
Old 09-19-2009, 03:12 AM

And those insects are responsible for wood rot.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:14 AM

Thanks for the input ... I was also thinking of potentially using a high quality oil varnish from a marine store (interlux or epiphanes). It will just bring back memories of the childhood task of helping my grandfather with his boat.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:32 AM

Cool. I would use an oil base conditioner then. IMHO. Dry rot is still dry rot.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:04 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I don't know much about clear water based exterior finishes. I do know nothing clear lasts very long when exposed to the UV rays of the sun. However, WB finishes are more flexible than oil based stuff so there should be less checking of the finish so less moisture will seep into the wood.

Of the oil based clear finishes Spar varnishes have a higher ratio of oil to resin and are the most flexible.

Dry rot is the result of a fungus growing in moist wood. Termites don't live in the wood but they do eat it. Bora Care is supposed to prevent both. I should have said it's a insecticide and an fungicide.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Boiled Lindseed Oil works pretty good. A couple of three coats to start and then renew it every year with a fresh coat, wiped on with a rag. It will darken the wood over time.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 09-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Here's a link that Jay suggested to me awhile back:

Quote:
A Durable Exterior Finish - Fine Woodworking PDF Cover Page (you might have to sign up for their free 14 day trial if you're not a member)
Might be helpful ...