talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 02:49 AM

Default Painting plywood edges?

Hi,

What is the best way to hide the layers on rounded over plywood edges when they will be painted?

Clearly any voids will need to be filled. Then is there something that will seal the plys and hide them?

Seth
Old 08-13-2009, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Painting plywood edges?

Seth,

I've heard of using spackling on machined MDF to seal it before priming, like on raised panel doors. It's supposed to seal better than just primer and its easy to sand. I don't know if it would work as well on ply or not but it might be worth a test.

I've never tried either, just some info I stored in my pea brain at one time.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:13 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

A couple of coats of shellac based primer like Kilz?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:44 AM

Hi,

Good ideas.

I think one of the problems is hiding the "fuzzies" of the cross grain plys in addition to sealing. Sanding does not seem to do the trick to get rid of them.

Seth
Old 08-13-2009, 06:08 AM

If you sand the primer you'll eventually get rid of the tell tale end grain. The shellac based stuff lets you get more coats on faster so you can sand something substantial enough to hide the grain sooner.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:05 AM

here's a solution with a prequel story.......

Some years back when I earned my living by "finishing" (wood finishing, metal patinas, epoxy finishes) rather than "making things" I had the finishing contract for L.A. Eyeworks. (the architect was Neil Denari) My mission was to apply an epoxy finish on the architectural interior elements which was fabricated from MDF. (refer to the 6 photos in this link - L.A. Eyeworks : NEIL M. DENARI ARCHITECTS - the photo advance is just above the first photo) The sleigh object, the counter in the back and the two long wall displays are made from MDF, butt jointed. So I had to deal with sealing the edges before the blue two part epoxy was applied.
What I used was an automotive catalyzed "filler" primer that was sprayed on. It goes on rather thickly and then you sand it down to about 600 grit, this was all pre-festool sanders. It made the edges disappear. (I've also used it on plywood after the voids were filled with bondo with a fiberglass reinforcement. (not the cheapo stuff you get at the home stores.)
The primer is very nasty stuff to use that gives a kick-ass finish. It's also used as the finish coat when your making an original form in which you would later pull a plaster mould which would then be used to make fiberglass parts. (I'd have to call the auto supply store during the day to get the name.)

Long story short, since that time I really haven't come across a solution that gives the same effect as above, so I'm a little spoiled as far as sealing a plywood edge. What Michael suggested will work the best short of the above. What ever you do don't use the cheapo bondo to fill the voids. (it shrinks in time - and then you'll get a crackled edge)

more reading info for the diehards.......

Look out! - 3/1/2003 - Interior Design

,,,,,,,,r

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 08-13-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the info on the super filler/primer.
Does it have to be sprayed on?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Thanks for the info on the super filler/primer.
Does it have to be sprayed on?
Michael,

for large surface areas it should be sprayed on, small areas..... such as plywood edges it could be brushed on.

I'll try to make a call later today or tomorrow to find the product name from my supplier.

,,,,,,r
Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Seth,

The spackle idea will work good and it drys fast and is easy to sand. Ideally it may be faster to just attach a solid wood edging and round that over, sand and paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post
Hi,

What is the best way to hide the layers on rounded over plywood edges when they will be painted?

Clearly any voids will need to be filled. Then is there something that will seal the plys and hide them?

Seth
Old 08-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Seth,

The spackle idea will work good and it drys fast and is easy to sand. Ideally it may be faster to just attach a solid wood edging and round that over, sand and paint.

Yes, I will probably go with the solid wood edge. I was shoping someone had a quick and easy way that would be faster. The methods presented are good but I am not so sure I would get much time / nuisance benefit over the solid edging.

Starting on it today so if anyone has a super method, please post it

Thanks for the suggestions.

Seth