talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ForumMFG
Default Re: Painting plywood edges?

You could buy paintable edgebanding. Apply it and then paint it. It will hide everything. At my cabinet shop we use it a lot on MDF, PB, PLYWOOD and it works very well and the finished product allways looks great. We have a automated edgebander so it's pretty fast and easy. For someone who would have to apply it by hand, it may add extra labor time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post

Starting on it today so if anyone has a super method, please post it
Nothing could be more "super" than sending it to Chris to have a professional edge put on by his super machine.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Banding rounded edges?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

Banding rounded edges?

Chris' machine can do anything.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Founding Member

It can do anything?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Chris can do anything.
Thanks John...
Old 08-14-2009, 10:01 PM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

How about using the top of the line filler that is thinned down with acetone? A autobody paint store owner told me that I could spray the filler that was thinned with acetone. You could brush it as well and have plenty of ventilation. The filler sands nice too.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:11 AM

Many years ago (about 40), when I was young and foolish and had very little money, I built a shelf/cabinet system for my apartment out of a utility grade of fir ply. I had the plywood cut to size (more or less) by the lumber yard. My only power tool was a 1/4 hp little Stanley Handyman router, which I used with a 1/4" straight bit to cut dadoes for the shelves.

Anyway, to prepare for painting, I used a pre-mixed vinyl spackle. I sanded it well, then sealed it with FirZite which was a clear, wipe-on finish, probably something like Danish Oil. (The finish left the spackle almost transparent.) Then I put on a second (and sometimes a third) coat to fill the edges and defects in the face of the plywood. It went pretty quickly, and the resulting paint job looked quite good -- no sign of the layers of the plywood. I saw the units much later -- after about 5 years in my apartment and 5 or 10 years in another family's child's room, and the paint job still looked fine.

A concern I have about using edging is that if the glue fails somewhere, you have a real mess on your hands.

Another time I filled plywood edges this way was when I built a clavichord from a kit. The sides of the case were walnut plywood, and the kit had a roll of iron-on walnut veneer tape. I decided not to use the tape, and filled the edges carefully with spackle. I used a wipe-on finish on both on the faces of the plywood and on the edge. Then I carefully painted the edge with a nice gold paint. It wound up looking quite elegant, and reasonably appropriate for a period-type of keyboard instrument.

I would be comfortable using a primer instead of the wipe-on finish.

Tom in SE Pennsylvania