talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Default Re: "Popping" the grain with water based finishes...

Ah for BBQ you need to drive to Matthews... south of Charlotte... The Outlaw BBQ shack.. FANTASTIC! They run it out of the back of some small Italian place. No place to sit down and eat inside (couple of picnic tables outside) so you just place your order and take it with you. They've got a really good Memphis style sauce and another vinegar based sauce that's equally as good in my book. No rabbit though...

Other than that I like to cook my own meals. If you don't already have it the Weber's Real Grilling cook book is a MUST have. There are some rubs, etc in that book that will put your grilling on a whole new playing field.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
Ah for BBQ you need to drive to Matthews... south of Charlotte... The Outlaw BBQ shack.. FANTASTIC! They run it out of the back of some small Italian place. No place to sit down and eat inside (couple of picnic tables outside) so you just place your order and take it with you. They've got a really good Memphis style sauce and another vinegar based sauce that's equally as good in my book. No rabbit though...

Other than that I like to cook my own meals. If you don't already have it the Weber's Real Grilling cook book is a MUST have. There are some rubs, etc in that book that will put your grilling on a whole new playing field.
The only place I been to that might have served rabbit was in Jacksonville, Fl. I think it was Bono's BBQ. They had a sign up that said "You kill it, we'll smoke it" followed by a long list of appropriate critters.

Thanks for the book tip.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 AM

I have been looking for this. Thanks so much.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 AM

How to smoke a rabbit or a way to make water based finishes look more like traditional ones? :stongue:
Old 07-11-2009, 02:06 PM

I had originally planned on finishing this jewelry box I'm building with just Waterlox oil (had some of the Marine grade high gloss left from refinishing an outdoor table) but after posting this decided I'd take a different route. Give me a day or two to lay on some clear coat and I'll post a picture of the lid all wet sanded and buffed using this method.

PS: If you don't own HVLP equipment and you own thousands of dollars of other tools, you should kick yourself right now.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Ouch! (Foot-shaped bruise on butt...)
Old 07-11-2009, 07:24 PM

LOL

I was going to post in a seperate thread but there's a great inexpensive way to get good spraying results.

Harbor freight sells a wonderful little HVLP detail gun. In fact I've grown so comfortable with it that I sold my Devilbiss and use it exclusively on my drums. When it's on sale it's around $20 and since I have a nice big compressor that's all I need for my finishes. It's designed to work with waterbased finishes but I think the lifespan is around 2-3 years tops. I consider it a disposable tool for the most part but it does a fantastic job with minimum dialing in. Not the right tool for the job for a huge project but for smaller things it's great. I haven't tried their bigger HVLP guns yet so I can't speak for them. The Devilbiss Finishline series is an affordable way to get a good gun for spraying though.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:48 AM

Tim

Is this the one?

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Jay
Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 AM

That's it... It goes on sale from time to time. Really affordable way to get your feet wet as far as spraying goes. That assumes you have a compressor of course
Old 07-14-2009, 03:37 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Rockler has their HVLP turbine system on sale for $89. -- I've been considering it because the turbine systems are more efficient than the HVLP conversion guns. Has anyone tried the Rockler system & have an opinion?