talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Finishing (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/finishing/)
-   -   "Popping" the grain with water based finishes... (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/finishing/2174-popping-grain-water-based-finishes.html)

mckenziedrums 07-08-2009 05:47 PM

Re: "Popping" the grain with water based finishes...

Ah for BBQ you need to drive to Matthews... south of Charlotte... The Outlaw BBQ shack.. FANTASTIC! They run it out of the back of some small Italian place. No place to sit down and eat inside (couple of picnic tables outside) so you just place your order and take it with you. They've got a really good Memphis style sauce and another vinegar based sauce that's equally as good in my book. No rabbit though...

Other than that I like to cook my own meals. If you don't already have it the Weber's Real Grilling cook book is a MUST have. There are some rubs, etc in that book that will put your grilling on a whole new playing field.

MichaelKellough 07-08-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckenziedrums (Post 27470)
Ah for BBQ you need to drive to Matthews... south of Charlotte... The Outlaw BBQ shack.. FANTASTIC! They run it out of the back of some small Italian place. No place to sit down and eat inside (couple of picnic tables outside) so you just place your order and take it with you. They've got a really good Memphis style sauce and another vinegar based sauce that's equally as good in my book. No rabbit though...

Other than that I like to cook my own meals. If you don't already have it the Weber's Real Grilling cook book is a MUST have. There are some rubs, etc in that book that will put your grilling on a whole new playing field.

The only place I been to that might have served rabbit was in Jacksonville, Fl. I think it was Bono's BBQ. They had a sign up that said "You kill it, we'll smoke it" followed by a long list of appropriate critters.

Thanks for the book tip.

EijiFuller 07-09-2009 01:42 AM

I have been looking for this. Thanks so much.

mckenziedrums 07-09-2009 01:52 AM

How to smoke a rabbit or a way to make water based finishes look more like traditional ones? :stongue:

mckenziedrums 07-11-2009 02:06 PM

I had originally planned on finishing this jewelry box I'm building with just Waterlox oil (had some of the Marine grade high gloss left from refinishing an outdoor table) but after posting this decided I'd take a different route. Give me a day or two to lay on some clear coat and I'll post a picture of the lid all wet sanded and buffed using this method.

PS: If you don't own HVLP equipment and you own thousands of dollars of other tools, you should kick yourself right now. :D

Poto 07-11-2009 03:54 PM

Ouch! (Foot-shaped bruise on butt...)

mckenziedrums 07-11-2009 07:24 PM

LOL

I was going to post in a seperate thread but there's a great inexpensive way to get good spraying results.

Harbor freight sells a wonderful little HVLP detail gun. In fact I've grown so comfortable with it that I sold my Devilbiss and use it exclusively on my drums. When it's on sale it's around $20 and since I have a nice big compressor that's all I need for my finishes. It's designed to work with waterbased finishes but I think the lifespan is around 2-3 years tops. I consider it a disposable tool for the most part but it does a fantastic job with minimum dialing in. Not the right tool for the job for a huge project but for smaller things it's great. I haven't tried their bigger HVLP guns yet so I can't speak for them. The Devilbiss Finishline series is an affordable way to get a good gun for spraying though.

JayKnoll 07-14-2009 12:48 AM

Tim

Is this the one?

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Jay

mckenziedrums 07-14-2009 01:03 AM

That's it... It goes on sale from time to time. Really affordable way to get your feet wet as far as spraying goes. That assumes you have a compressor of course

RONWEN 07-14-2009 03:37 AM

Rockler has their HVLP turbine system on sale for $89. -- I've been considering it because the turbine systems are more efficient than the HVLP conversion guns. Has anyone tried the Rockler system & have an opinion?