talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 PM

Default Minwax Polyshades

Looking for feedback on this Minwax one step product:

Polyshades - One-Step Stain & Finishes

I have to stain a hollow core interior door a dark brown. I have stained other doors with the Minwax water based prestain conditioner, three or four coats of water based stain to get the color to be dark and even then two/three coats of watebased poly. The work area does not have a roof and I don't want to leave it out if it rains.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:52 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Minwax Polyshades

I've used the oil based Poly Shades. I'm not sure what kind of feedback you're looking for. It works pretty well but it does what it does and will never match a different stain protocol.

The pigment is fairly well mixed into the poly if you stir well so each coat adds more pigment and the color gets deeper. Once you reach the color you want you have to switch to an un-pigmented finish (if needed) to complete the finish.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:38 AM

I have used the oil based. It works pretty good for those sorts of things that don't need a beautiful finish. It doesn't look bad in the right application. I have used as little as two coats for those get it done jobs.

Seth
Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM

Who wants to be the opinionated one?
*hand in air frantically*

Just like there are regular folk and really exceptional folk,
There's regular crap and exceptional crap.
And IMHO, there is a very special reserved slot in hell for the guy who developed Polyshades and thought it should be sold to well intending people.
Not that I'm opinionated or anything.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

I couldn't figure out, Randy: is Poly Shades "regular crap" or "exceptional crap"?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 AM

I've used poly shades for a quick finish on pine to prevent blotching and get a nice golden tone. Quick and simple. It gets a little darker with each coat but also starts to get a little muddy if you put too many coats. Get to the color you want and stop and if you need more protection because you get to the darkness you want in only one or two coats, then go over it with regular clear poly.

It's got it's place but I wouldn't call it top shelf.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...