talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default Finish for a diningroom table

I'm making a large diningroom table out of cherry. I don't want to (and don't have access) to spraying equipment.

Any thoughts on a good, durable, waterproof finish? I want something smooth and somewhat glossy (satin?) that shows off the grain well. Also, something that can be refinished down the road if I have to.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Finish for a diningroom table

You can borrow my Fuji MM3 and spray some Target EM2000 waterborne hybrid alkid varnish. It is pretty sweet stuff. Perfect application for your dining table. I got a very good finish on my first attempt.

I would put 2 coats of the stuff you put on your other furniture and let it cure for at least a week.

2 coats of shelac

3 coats of EM2000

the EM2000 is a very forgiving finish. Even if you spray it out a little uneven it flattens out well while in it first stages of curing. If you get dust or a little overspray on it, it rubs out with a paper bag after you let it dry for 2 -3 hrs. No kidding!
Old 06-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

That's really generous of you, Eiji! I don't have a special spraying area set up - where do you do your spraying? Does it get all over everything, or does the spray stay local?

I usually use a tung-oil finish (which apparently has only a modicum of tung oil in it, and lots of volatiles) - would your target EM2000 stick to that?

If it dries that fast, it sounds like I could finish the table in a day (at least the spraying part...)
Old 06-28-2009, 04:59 PM

I'm in the same boat... no spray booth.

Therefore, I had to source a durable finish that can be brushed on really easy. Of course I didn't want to expose myself to any toxic VOC's , there was only one product I could find.
AFM Safecoat
Applied with a high end brush it leaves a very very nice finish. Way more durable then any natural oil finish. Give it a try, you will like it!

Cheers,
Andreas
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Andreas. Which one of those finishes did (do) you use? Do you sand between coats? How smooth a finish can you get?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:19 PM

I use the Polyureseal BP. You will need three coats with some sanding in between. Takes about 5 hours to dry between coats. I usually do it on the weekend were I don't have any dust suspended in the air.

To give you an idea how much you will need, I will show you a picture of a table top I did a while ago with about 500ml.

the best thing about this products is that there was really no noticeable smell!
Attached Thumbnails
finish-diningroom-table-img_2876.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:31 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

If you have the time to let it dry properly (12 to 24 hours per coat) genuine Tung oil fits your criteria.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

But is tung oil water resistant? I was just reading a FWW, and it suggested that it wasn't the best for water resistance, etc.

How's the wing, Michael?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:02 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Tung oil may not be as waterproof as some other finishes but it's good enough and it's easily renewable and will showcase the grain and figure of the cherry better than any film finish.

"The cross linking of the oil's molecules makes the surface waterproof and impervious to many chemicals. The bonding also gives flexibility to the surface, making it capable of withstanding wear and tear."
Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
But is tung oil water resistant? I was just reading a FWW, and it suggested that it wasn't the best for water resistance, etc.

How's the wing, Michael?
Peter,

I would echo what Michael said.......

If you build up enough coats with Tung Oil it gets pretty water resistant. A few years ago I did this large wall unit project with Mahoganny Veneer and solid stock. I pre-finished all the veneer plywood panels, solid stock and did my cuts afterward. After the project was finished I had some extra half sheets that I used part of for a counter in the workshop bathroom. Splash, splash all the time, looks as good as the day I put it in...... over three years ago.

I used this stuff from Japan Woodworker.....

Tung Oil - Qt. <!B740-00036> - The Japan Woodworker Catalog

cheers,
,,,r

ps. Peter.... I still have some....I could post you a piece of the built up Mahoganny ply with Tung oil if you want to do your own water test - and to see the finish.

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 06-29-2009 at 02:16 AM.