talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Finish for a diningroom table

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
re: Tung Oil

Peter... Do yourself a favor and look into Waterlox oil. It's a modified tung oil that dries much harder and faster than most of the other stuff. In fact, for tables I HIGHLY recommend the marine grade finish. It's pricey at over $30 a qt but it should cover the area you need and it's UV and water resistant. The stuff is designed for using on the wood parts of boats and they see more water than a table usually... You'll want to get the original finish/sealer as well as the marine grade gloss. Once it cures you can buff it out and get an absolutely stunning finish and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how quickly it builds up.

If you want to use some kind of urethane, laquer, etc over the oil I'd use the method I described in my post in this particular forum. Just skip the marine grade oil because you won't need it. 2 coats of the sealer/finish, 2 coats of Zinnser Sealcoat (it's better than the Target stuff... as much as I like waterbased...) and then use whatever top coat you want. Personally I'd probably just stick with the waterlox. They use it on hardwood floors so it's pretty darn tough.
"Why Choose Waterlox?

Beauty
Waterlox finishes are a special formula of tung oil and resin that are hand-blended to give wood a naturally beautiful, protective finish."

Waterlox is an oil/varnish mix similar to the Minwax "Tung Oil Finish"

Different formulas (different ratios of oil/resin) give slightly different results. The more varnish the higher the gloss. Raw Tung oil gives a nearly flat finish but it takes a good weak to dry. Polymerized Tung oil drys in 6 to 12 hours. The oil/varnish mixes usually only take a few hours to dry.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 07-11-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!