talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Finish for a diningroom table

Thanks, Bob.

Do you do any sanding between coats?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 PM

I thought that Bob/Per had an article on the Festool site but I couldn't find it, but I did remember this from awhile ago, you can see the result

Shameless Festool Sander Plug - Sawmill Creek

Jay
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Jay - I remember reading that thread. Bob, in spite of my facetious comment above, your method sounds like it would be impressively bullet proof. I'm thinking, though, that it might be a little too glossy and "plasticy" for my table. I'd like something that still has a woody touch to it.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I'd like something that still has a woody touch to it.

Woody touch = Tung Oil

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

My thought too, Roger.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 AM

Poto,

Woody feel = no film = no protection

Id be interested in seeing the varnish wetsand applied with 220, 320, 2 coats with 400 and 2 coats with 600. that would leave the film relatively thin but impregnate the wood and the surface protection would be far superior to the tung-oil.

It would be a dull satin sheen but you could bring that up by applying wax with 000 steel wool.

Peter, I used to have a prejudice against film finishes untill I saw some good ones. A properly applied film finish only enhances the look and depth of the wood and IMO the smooth feel does not detract at all.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Eiji, I'm still thinking about your original suggestion: tung oil/shellac/EM2000. I've not used shellac much, but the one time I did, I was really unhappy with the finish (you could see all the brush strokes). What shellac do you use, and how do you apply it? Is it necessary, or can you apply the EM2000 over the tung oil? Or would EM2000 work by itself - it sounds like its color is about the same as tung oil.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:32 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Has anyone suggested Tung oil?

Here is another source. It looks like a good place to get answers to some of your questions. As in, call 'em up.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:41 PM

Eiji----Right on

The wet sanding is only to knock off the nibs, few of us have dust proof areas to work in. Wipe down with a damp towel after sanding and use a tack rag before varnishing.

The filler is important on open grain wood, with out it you will never fill in the grain with varnish. Tint it to match the wood. Your local paint store might not even know what it is.

You can make wax free shellac by poring it into a glass jar and letting the shellac stand until the wax settles to the bottom, than decant.

Try all the finishes, oil, french polish, epoxy, etc.
One finish doesn't fit all. I like Behlen's Rock hard on table tops, or bars that are going to take a beating.

The polishing is the secret to a professional look.

Poto, the first time you see Wally standing on top of your new dinning room table your going to wish you used a rock hard finish.

What if Fred comes visiting and starts dancing on the table?
Bob
Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 AM

For shellac I have used the dewaxed in the can shellac and Targets Waterborne shellac. I dont make my own

When brushing shellac it is easy to get lap marks and brush marks in the film the brush marks sand off but the lap marks dont.
I spray the shellac and wipe with a rag if it doesnt go on evenly. I think it is hard to apply shellac any other way because it is so thin that different areas of the surface soak it up more and faster than others.