talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default exploding shellac

Every couple of years I buy a can of Zinzer ready made shellac. I usually get about halfway through the can before it turns dark and takes toooo long to cure.

I have a file card cabinet that is the perfect height for storing quart cans. I opened the drawer and one of the cans had no lid on it. Very strange because I'm really good about cleaning the rim of the can and lid and hammering the lid on tight.

It was the shellac. I pulled it out and saw that the contents had become a dark gelatinous goo. I found the lid in the drawer and noticed that there was dried dark goo on the lower edge of the rim, the part I always clean off. I put the lid back on so I could inspect the can from various angles and saw that the bottom of the can had been pushed out from within. There are actually stress creases in the steel so it seems like the stuff started fermenting or something and exploded.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:12 PM

Default Re: exploding shellac

Do you think they used sugar and yeast instead of alcohol to dissolve the shellac?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!