talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 12:01 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default What color is that?

Want to paint the wall in a color that matches the chair upholstery? Maybe you could drag the chair down to a paint store and get them to scan it. Or you could just whip out your iPhone and run the ColorSnap app then head down to Sherwin-Williams and pick up the paint. Don't know where the nearest store is? (it's in there too)

This app allows you to select a color in any jpg photo (take a picture of the chair) and it will choose the closest of the 1500 colors that S-W maintains formulas for and it will also suggest other coordinating colors.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: What color is that?

If I didn't know better, I'd think that you'd written the app. Or were a S-W employee, Michael...

Sounds fun. Now all I need is an iPhone. And a chair.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
If I didn't know better, I'd think that you'd written the app. Or were a S-W employee, Michael...

Me too...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:44 PM

As a dyed in the wool Sherwin fan . . . HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!?
(pretty cool, if you ask me)
Old 06-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

I really like the idea, but I don't an iPhone either. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to Apple products.

I wonder how accurate the results are, color matching depends so much on consistent lighting.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I really like the idea, but I don't an iPhone either. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to Apple products.

I wonder how accurate the results are, color matching depends so much on consistent lighting.
Good point. Don't use a flash.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 PM

Oooh, I'll have to try this! Although, as an iPhone owner I have to congratulate joraft on his skepticism, this device does have issues. I've only had it a month or so, just long enough that the shine has worn off and the return period has ended, but when this contract comes up I'll be doing something not Apple.

On lighting, it's quite likely that the iPhone's image sensor (not the greatest camera in the world...) has a different response curve than the human eye, but color is the illumination convolved with the reflectance of the surface convolved with the response curve of the sensor (ie: the eye), so if the camera is fairly close to the eye the only reason the lighting should matter is if its missing portions of the spectrum that'd otherwise be reflected by the surface.

Flourescent or LED lights will do that to ya, but then most paint shops are also quite happy to give you whatever swatches you need to take home and compare, so something like this could be a good way to go from a gazillion choices to a few.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLyke View Post

... Although, as an iPhone owner I have to congratulate joraft on his skepticism, this device does have issues.

My skepticism isn't with the iPhone, per se. It is with using a very basic camera as a spectrophotometer.

Even dedicated spectrophotometers that are carefully calibrated can miss a color by several shades if not used just right. What chance does a camera in a cell phone have at being anywhere near as accurate?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Michael's post got me to looking around for handy paint matching devices.

Here's a little spectrophotometer from Benjamin Moore called the Pocket Pallette (it's made by X-Rite):

Old 06-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like it could tell you if you're pregnant, too!