talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Default Re: What color is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
As a dyed in the wool Sherwin fan . . . HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!?
(pretty cool, if you ask me)
We don't have much experience with SW so I can't bash them, but we sure have excellent results and spec BM and ICI on our jobs. Home Depot must have to pay those magazines a lot of money to get decent ratings on their Behr crap... Nothing but junk comes out of those cans when you've used a good product to compare...
Old 06-03-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
My skepticism isn't with the iPhone, per se. It is with using a very basic camera as a spectrophotometer.
Yeah, on thinking further my assertion that the camera (and specifically that camera) would have the same response as the human eye is rather flawed, and there's also quite a bit of quantization in just dragging this stuff down to 8 bits.

So at best a way to narrow down which stack of paint chips to check.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Founding Member

Although the camera may be an issue, the benefit of using an iPhone camera is that they are fairly standardized. I.e., you would optimize the SW for a single camera (or may two if you count the original iPhone).

I think a bigger issue is lighting. The iPhone captures the image AS LIGHTED. The same object in sunlight, in outside shadow, by flourescent light, by halogen light, and by incandescent light would produce five different colors.

OTOH, if you photograph the object IN IT'S TARGET LOCATION, it might give reasonably accurate results. At least as a start to get the right paint chips.

I downloaded the SW to my iPhone. It works pretty well.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

I downloaded the SW to my iPhone. It works pretty well.
Dan, when you say it works well, does that mean that you've ordered paint from the results?

I'm interested in hearing about actual hands on experiences with this software. Such as, how close the colors come out. I know that many paint stores still have some problems with matching, and they have fairly sophisticated equipment.

If this software does well, we could soon see similar applications for high end cameras and scanners. I wouldn't mind that at all.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Dan, when you say it works well, does that mean that you've ordered paint from the results?

I'm interested in hearing about actual hands on experiences with this software. Such as, how close the colors come out. I know that many paint stores still have some problems with matching, and they have fairly sophisticated equipment.

If this software does well, we could soon see similar applications for high end cameras and scanners. I wouldn't mind that at all.
John,

The colors in the pic matched the object colors pretty well. But no, I haven't bought any paint from it.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:17 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLyke View Post
Yeah, on thinking further my assertion that the camera (and specifically that camera) would have the same response as the human eye is rather flawed, and there's also quite a bit of quantization in just dragging this stuff down to 8 bits.

So at best a way to narrow down which stack of paint chips to check.
8 bits is plenty when you're only looking for a "match" among 1500 paint formulas.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:34 AM
Perfect Little Angel

Quote:

Take pictures of the color samples (paint swatches) and see what it says... Simple enough test I'd think... % of accuracy?