talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Default A bug.....

Hi all,

In the years I spent in the computer software industry the term "bug" was used to describe an unintended result. The term originated in the very earliest days when a physical bug flying into and dying inside a tube type computer could cause all kinds of strange behavior, including unintended results.

Well, today I experienced something similar while finishing a quick shelf to house some new Bang and Olufsen audio equipment I am putting in the new library and guest suite in our 1907 Masonic Temple building. This equipment (the 8000 series for those of you who know B&O) is huge and I needed a shelf to sit on top of an Oregon big leaf maple and Brazilian cherry five drawer chest that will hold these monsters.

I made the shelf from a hunk of the Brazilian cherry, two arts and crafts style leg sets (rail, stile and slats) and a cross member. Dovetail grooves, blind to the front, were cut in the under side of the top and vertically at the upper back corners of the legs. A male DT was cut on the top of each leg and the ends of the cross member. To assemble, the cross member was fit into the female DT groove in each leg and then the legs were slid into the female DT slots in the under side of the top. As the pieces reach the ends of the blind sliding DT grooves the cross member locks everything in place - hence the name "interlocking sliding dovetail construction".

The bug part of this story happened next. I tossed the piece into the finish room, filled my turbine gun with water based material and started to squirt the piece. What! I am shooting a circular pattern, not a fan pattern. I looked thinking a piece of dried finish material must have blocked one of the ports on the back side of the air cap. Nope, it was a moth like bug! I have no idea how that thing could have worked its way through the small openings in the air cap, or all the way from the air inlet on the bottom of the handle clear through the air passages to be blocked by the air cap, but none the less, there he/she was. When I turned on the turbine it must have blown the little guy apart as it was wing parts that blocked the holes in the air cap resulting in the cone pattern. After cleaning all the body parts out, everything returned to normal.

In all the years I have been doing this stuff, this is the first time I ever had a "bug" interfere with my spray system producing an unintended result!

Jerry
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:20 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: A bug.....

A bat.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:25 PM

These critters are taking over the world!
They weren't happy with just computers, they want more.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry,

Pictures. We need pictures. And I don't care about pictures of the bug. :sdrool: That part I can visualize.

Mike
Old 03-22-2009, 03:10 PM

Somebody's gotta say it: That's not a bug, it's a feature.