talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Fuji Mini Mite 3

Hey Eiji, have you been able to use your sprayer much yet? How do you like it? Any tips or techniques you have picked up to pass on?
I just got the Fuji MM4. Kind of excited to be able to try it out.
I've been reading through Bob Flexner's "Understanding Wood Finishing." So far, learning quite a bit.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:36 AM

Spark,
I have been doing some spraying. I have not figured out how to spray yet. I am fumbling around trying different settings and different thinning percentages. Even though I still havent learnt nuthin yet I am happy with the end results(bamboo linen cabinet on website). The Emtech 2000 waterborne varnish is so forgiving. I am not very confident and I have a couple of beech bookshelf units to spray out next. It is alot of fun though, compared to brush and rags.

Oversprayed in SD
Old 01-02-2009, 05:05 AM

This is a little off topic, but how did you like working with the Bamboo plywood? (I am assuming correctly that that's what you used, right?)
I am fascinated with that stuff! Trying to think of areas to use it. I've even thought about using it for drawer boxes. I think it would be really unique looking. Also, the sustainability factor is kinda nice. I don't consider myself an environmentalist, but I do think its wise to use our resources wisely.
So how well does it cut? Would it work nicely as dovetailed drawer boxes?

The linen closet looks amazing by the way. You really do great work.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:37 AM

I really like the stuff. It is reasonably hard but not really tough on tooling. I really like the look of it too.

It might tear out a bit too much for dovetailing. I would probably just do a drawer lock joint.

It looks really nice as doors and drawer fronts and you can play around with how you want the grain to run for different effects. I am wondering how dying it would look.
I just sprayed out some drawers with transtint in water and loved the fact that I could just fog the color on with out a drippy rag and stained fingers (I never wear gloves)

Anyway I have some scrap 1/2" plyboo and am thinking of making some boxes. I will probably nevery get to it though.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Eiji
Old 01-07-2009, 10:48 PM

I hate to rain on any parade... but I've been told that waterborne and hvlp simply don't mix. I believe by the Rep from Target. The warm air produced by the gun messes up the curing action of the finish. He recommended a compressor based system.

I thought..." oh great... warm air, less drying time". but apparently not so.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 PM

I use HVLP with campbells waterbourne precat Laquer without any problems. With a cheap Earlex 5000 sprayer...

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:39 AM

". . . but I've been told that waterborne and hvlp simply don't mix. I believe by the Rep from Target. The warm air produced by the gun messes up the curing action of the finish."

Interesting since Jerry Work wrote a detailed how to for Target Coatings using their water based products and HVLP sprayers. It can be found on both the Target Coatings site and Jerry's site.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:09 AM

Tom,

I'd like to get a conversion gun... might look into LVLP as well...I'm very new to spraying but so far everything Iv'e tried has worked nicely. the Earlex is only a 2 stage HVLP turbine. Maybe it operates at a lower temp. It doesn't feel that warm to me. Maybe a 3 or 4 stage turbine creates more heat. I've heard good things about target and ML Campell both but Iv'e only tried the ML Campbell Agualente.

Kapex, Domino, Trion PS 300, RO 150, ETS 150/3, Deltex 93, 2 CT 33's, OF 1400, MFT/3...
Old 01-08-2009, 02:35 PM

Just get a longer hose if air is coming out too warm.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 PM

We had a presentation to our guild (professionals only, Frank Klausz was probably there, maybe Frank Pollaro, no slouches). I could be wrong about it being Target specifically, certainly one of the biggies. I'll check on that. Also he could have been speaking about waterborne conversion varnish specifically, because that's all I was interested in, but I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it was waterborne in general.

I don't think my hose is the problem. Actually I have never had a problem. I love my hvlp set-up and have about 1200 bucks invested in it. I think the warm air is normal. That's why I was disheartened to say the least when I learned that I would have to abandon it in order to switch to waterborne. Not trying to stir the pot. Just passing along what I heard.

Anybody else??