talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Finishing

Finishing How you make your work look great!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Fuji Mini Mite 3

hey Kit,

I am a complete finish novice as I have used oil based stains and some brush on varnish as my only experience in finishing.
I have always shyed away from finishing, fearful of the unknown. After doing some research I knew that WB finishing with HVLP was the only way for me to go.
I had planned on starting out with Target's Ultima Spray Lacquer and the move up to the pre-cat conversion varnishes. After speaking with the Toomas, the owner of Chemical Coatings, I decided to start with the Emtech2000. He said it was practicaly flying off the shelves and finishers were regularly switching to the EM2000 from the USL. His words - It's brushable, sprays out fantastic, nicer finish and more durable than the USL, only needs 3 coats, imparts an amber depth just like a solvent finish, an excellent exterior varnish as well. Another plus is that for an even more durable finish you can add in a crosslinker. What the heck sounds pretty good to me.

I am totally psyched.

There is also a great finishers forum on Target's website. Sweet.

Eiji
Old 12-07-2008, 02:06 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Who makes Emtech2000?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Founding Member

Target coatings is the manufacturer: EMTECH 2000 Waterborne Varnish: The Finishing Zone, by Target Coatings Inc. and EmTech 2000 Series Waterborne-Alkyd. Also, they have a Product Matrix Chart to position their different products.

Interesting product. I'm very curious to see how it works out.

Dan.

Last edited by DanClark; 12-07-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Great post Mr Weber

I've wanted to try spray finishing for a while, especially on large table tops.
I'd like to see how it goes Eiji keep us up to date please
Do you have or need a clean room for spraying the WB finishes? That would be a problem for me, I don't have enough space as it is, now
Cheers!
Okami
Old 12-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Great post Mr Weber

I've wanted to try spray finishing for a while, especially on large table tops.
I'd like to see how it goes Eiji keep us up to date please
Do you have or need a clean room for spraying the WB finishes? That would be a problem for me, I don't have enough space as it is, now
Cheers!
Okami
According to the spec sheet, Emtech 2000 can be applied using a brush or pad. I'm interested in Eiji's real-world results because I'll be finishing trim for the MBR remodel.

Eiji, I have one question - based on your research, can the Emtech 2000 be tinted? Any issues with stains?

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:11 PM

I think that any of Target's coatings can be tinted with Transtint dyes. An oil base stain can also be used as long as it has had time to cure then Target's UltraSeal WB shellac (2 coats) then your top coats of which ever Target coating you choose.

For a really deep or dark stain I gather the process is like this:
Ultraseal- 1 coat
WB stain- to get you to around 70 - 80 percent color
Tinted top coats to get you to the color you want.

I havent planned on doing alot of staining so I am not absolutely sure. Check out the finishers forum there is alot of info there.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:25 PM

Do you have any plans for containing over-spray or do you think it's not needed with the HVLP?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer98 View Post
Do you have any plans for containing over-spray or do you think it's not needed with the HVLP?
I figured drop cloths and some cardboard or masonite shields would work just fine. When I watched my finishers spraying with WB/HVLP the overspray was dry before it hit the floor. Clean up was a matter of sweeping and running a vac.

Eiji
Old 12-08-2008, 10:22 PM

I used Target coating to shoot with a Q4 with great success. As far a overspray, the more you practice the better you get a managing it. I modified my setup to have the cup air supply before ball valve. That way you do not loose cup pressure when adjusting the gun air supply. This works wonders when spraying baseboards and door jambs.

The pigmented water stuff is can sanded in as little as 1-2 hours. I prefer to shoot large flat items like doors and panels of the hinges flat on saw horses. That way you can load up a little heavier and not worry about sagging and dry spots.

Q4 HVLP and Waterborne Lacquer has truly revolutionize my interior finishing process. My 3 coat finishes are applied in one day with much better results.

Kudos to Roger Phelps, he is truly a great resource in getting started.

RWeb nice write-up! I concur with Scotch brite, Alcohol and different technique.

Eiji, I've seen what great work you do, once you start finishing like a pro you'll never leave your prized work's finishes in the hands of another.

Victor
Old 12-08-2008, 10:35 PM

Not sure if you are aware of the 20% discount for e-commerce orders.

Dear
FinishingZone

Enjoy exclusive savings of 20% OFF on all
FinishingZone
orders from now until December 15, 2008!

SAVE 20% ON ALL FINISHINGZONE.COM ORDERS FROM NOW
UNTIL DECEMBER 15, 2008*!

Happy Holidays!

Jeff Weiss
President
Target Coatings, Inc.

jweiss@targetcoatings.com

* This offer is valid only for orders placed through our
FinishingZone
.com e-commerce store. All phone-in orders and open purchase orders will be charged at the standard SRP or previously established discount rate. This offer is valid until DECEMBER 15, 2008 and may be canceled at any time without notification.